Which country has the rudest drivers on the road?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by YS2003, Oct 26, 2006.

1. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

I live in NJ/NY areas. I only drive for business as pleasure driving is a thing of the past (I hate driving for pleasure where I live now; I hate even seeing the roads when I am off my work during the weekend)l. My personal car is basically stored in my garage only for a sunny and dry pavement day (I only drive it less than 500 miles a year). But, I drive 50,000 miles a year for business with my company car. I am moving out from the country soon (not because of this, I want to add). I would like to hear which country has more ideal driving condition.

Edit: Please don't turn this into one of those "speed kills" threads. For those who hate speeders on the road, please post your comments on those threads which discuss speeding.

2. aquajet macrumors 68020

You're on a roll tonight.

I would say Texas. Terribly rude, especially the nighttime party crowd in Dallas.

3. dsnort macrumors 68000

dsnort

Florida in winter. All the drive times double as "Snowbirds" clog the roads, driving 10 MPH below the speed limit, and applying brakes at any provocation.

"We got nowhere to go and all day to get there!"

4. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

India.

California isn't too great either (mostly around bigger cities is where it's a problem), but it's not as horrible as some of the other states.

5. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

Top 5:
    1) France
    2) France
    3) France
    4) France
    5) France

6. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

7. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

That's about the truth. It's going to be worse this summer seeing as I-95 north of Daytona to about St. Augustine is all torn up. :(

8. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

Over here it's "who can get to the red light first?" :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

9. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

Miami.

Wait, that's technically not it's own country. If it was, it would be the worst, though.

10. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I've heard Russia's pretty bad, but I've never been there.

If we're talking about cities, then I nominate St. Louis.

11. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

Someone asks you to name a country and Americans name states.
    Hello!! Countries. You know. Outside your borders. :rolleyes:

The Italians and French are pretty fearsome.

12. vniow macrumors G4

13. Keebler macrumors 68030

quebec, canada

quick to use the finger, don't use signal lights and just change lanes when they feel like it.

i hate driving in montreal.

14. Oblivious macrumors 6502

Drivers suck on the north-shore of Massachusetts...

As for a country? Well, I've never been to another country where drivers have been too rude, but I can imagine very congested areas of China and India must get pretty crazy.

15. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

You mean like... Indiana? I don't much care for Indiana, frankly. All funny accents and coal plants.

16. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

In my experience:

Greece (especially in Athens) or Egypt

A Greek friend explained it this way: you have to bribe the testing official for your license whether you can drive or not so you learn to drive AFTER you get your license. ... I might add that this 'friend' is from an extremely rich family (and married into an even wealthier one.:eek: )

Egypt=no real agreement on which side of the road one should drive

I personally have enjoyed driving in Germany (aside from the ridiculously slow residential road speed limits 5~10 kmph?!) - though if you make a mistake (turn where you are not supposed to for eg), be prepared for everyone and their grandmother to let you know. I don't consider this last point rude. They are just concerned citizens doing their civic duty!

It can also be fun to zip around the English countryside where there are frequently no drivers at all, just windy roads, no shoulder, sheep in places.

17. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

:D I noticed that too. I thought I misread the OP!

18. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

Indonesia, esp. Jakarta! How could I forget? Parents and two kids on one scooter. Traffic lanes anywhere from 2 to 5 depending on what second of the day you happen to be there. And where some f****** truck driver knocked me off a scooter and drove off.

Haha. No, I mean outside those borders 'defined' by sea, snow, or a great big fence.

The other place I hired a scooter. I must have had a death wish in my youth.

19. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

I'd say Texas, too.
    But HOUSTON! Agghh!!

Traffic in this city, no one letting you over, people doing 80+ in the far right lane all make me wanna curl up in a ball and never drive ever again!

20. 04440 macrumors member

Los Angeles

Man oh Man.. Los Angeles Drivers are nuuuuttttts .. But it's funny.. because when I go home to central California to my home town.. I feel like people are extremely nuts and SLOW! But.. Yeah.. they probably think i'm suicidal. Ha

21. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I don't think the U.S.A. has the rudest drivers but anyone in an SUV seems to be better than anyone else here. :rolleyes:

I've always heard that the Italians are particularly rude. Mexican drivers know that the lines on the streets are for the tourists and drive anywhere and everywhere. Of course, seeing how the Cubans and Puerto Ricans drive here in Central Floriduh, I'd say it's probably any Hispanic country.

22. Synapple macrumors regular

Italians are really the worst ever by far. Everyday I need to wake up 2 hours earlier than I could just to avoid being stuck in the traffic and getting a nervous breakdown from those crazy a**es out there.

23. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

What I hate most are the tail-gators. I used to be a layed back driver, but not anymore; the tail-gators have turned me into a speed demon in order to get away from them. :cool:

24. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

tap on your brakes repeatedly. Hopefully they'll see the flashing brake lights and realize they're too close for your comfort. That's what I do, then they usually back off. :)

25. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Italy's bad, but predictable. Cairo's bad. Lima, Peru is like metallic darwinism, and Bogotá, Colombia runs a close second.