Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Outside the US:
I really loved Vienna and Mariazell in Austria. I'd have to actually learn German and really brush up on my Italian. There are lots of other places but I'd be here till 9 am fantasizing.

Inside the US:
The more I visit rural MD, VA, and PA; the more I think rural Connecticut is for me. :)

itcheroni

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2005
CA
Countries I haven't been to I'd like to give a try: Canada, Mexico, Ukraine, Hungary, Portugal, Australia...well, I guess there's too many to name.

Countries I've been to that I can see myself living in: France, Holland, India, Spain, Italy, Czech Republic, and England

I've lived in Japan and it didn't suit me at all. Although, I'd like to live in Osaka for a short time if money weren't a factor.

mpw

Jun 18, 2004
In an ideal world I'd like to have homes around the globe. One here, built bespoke to my design (I've a spot in mind if I ever have the cash). Then a place in London, New York, San Francisco, Hawaii, New Zealand and a skiing chalet somewhere in the US or Canada.

Is that too greedy?

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Vancouver is great, and everyone who said that is right. However, it's very very expensive there. Their cost of living and home/condominium purchasing is the highest in Canada by a large margin. An average home in Vancouver costs around $470,000 USD, which is the highest in Canada, while Toronto has the 2nd highest average house price at around $320,000 USD. Look at the difference between the most expensive and the 2nd most expensive. Every other city costs less than that.

~Shard~ said:
There are rainforests there which rival and even best some that I've seen in New Zealand, Australia, etc (WTF???). Great (you mean good, right?) surfing, whale watching, beaches, ocean kayaking, hiking, whitewater rafting - some of the best rapids in the world in fact (Haha, ok, I'm sure there are a few really good rapids)! Great place to be, I'm heading out there for 3 weeks myself mid-July. :cool:

"Slight exaggerations" here, but yes, it's a nice place. ;)

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
Easy one for me to answer. Catalunya. Failing that, I'd give northern Italy a go, somewhere around Trento (Lake Garda area).

~Shard~ said:
I found London to be very crowded, unfriendly, high on pollution, dreary (weather-wise) and extremely expensive. Sorry to all you Londoners, just sharing my opinion... :eek: :cool:
That's an accurate assessment IMO. Possibly why we're all planning to leave :D

itcheroni

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2005
CA
Abstract said:
Vancouver is great, and everyone who said that is right. However, it's very very expensive there. Their cost of living and home/condominium purchasing is the highest in Canada by a large margin. An average home in Vancouver costs around $470,000 USD, which is the highest in Canada, while Toronto has the 2nd highest average house price at around $320,000 USD. Look at the difference between the most expensive and the 2nd most expensive. Every other city costs less than that.

They sound like bargains to me.

garybUK

Jun 3, 2002
For Me:
Norway, Germany (Hamburg or Bavarian region), Romania in the Carpathians in a castle or France :)

Glen Quagmire

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2006
UK
In order:

1. New Zealand.
2. Canada.
3. The U.S. (New England or the Pacific North West).
4. Vienna, Austria.
5. Australia.

If I had enough money never to have to work again, I'd go and live on an island in the Carribean, such as Martinique or the Bahamas and lie on the beach all day and do some water sports.

Of these five, I've only ever visited Vienna (twice). If I could afford to emigrate (and get the guts to do so), I would leave the UK at the drop of a heat - no more chavs, no more Tony Blair and David Cameron, no more hopeless public transport and so on.

Les Kern

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2002
Alabama
I've actually been pondering this a bit the last few years. As my child gets to be draft age and there is a draft one day, I'll leave before I allow the government to waste another life on their idiocy. It's either that or chop a big toe off. I have a few years, so I'll continue to amass a lot of handy cash.
But beyond that, I guess I'm just a bit of a pessimist. I see things that point to a radical change here, and none of it good. And as a student of history, all signs point to... pain.
And where would I LIKE to move? Far, far away... Canada was a first choice, but it's proximity to ground zero will probably see it swept along in the nightmare. Mexico is too unstable. So where would money go a long way, and where could we go so that we're simply not noticed?
When I figure it out, I will not tell. I just don't want any visitors.

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire
OutThere said:
Though, if I were to move to Switzerland, I'd have to do mandatory military service...:rolleyes:
On the plus side, you'd get given your own penknife. :)

Personally I'm happy where I am, but if I had to pick I'd probably say The Netherlands. I've got family across there so I visit quite often, and the people are generally nice and all that.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
itcheroni said:
They sound like bargains to me.

Toronto isn't bad. Vancouver is so much more expensive than everywhere else in Canada, it's silly. Oh, and Canadians generally earn less money than Americans, so it's all relative, isn't it.

And Sydney probably trumps all the Canadian cities. It's like Vancouver + Toronto combined. :rolleyes:

I'd choose NZ, but I'm not sure about economy or how much my career is in demand over there. I'd love to find out, though. It's a beautiful place. :)

njmac

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Italy. Its kind of ironic though that 100 years ago my father's grandparents moved here from Italy to give their family a better life.

63dot

macrumors 603
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
Les Kern said:
I've actually been pondering this a bit the last few years. As my child gets to be draft age and there is a draft one day, I'll leave before I allow the government to waste another life on their idiocy. It's either that or chop a big toe off. I have a few years, so I'll continue to amass a lot of handy cash.
But beyond that, I guess I'm just a bit of a pessimist. I see things that point to a radical change here, and none of it good. And as a student of history, all signs point to... pain.
And where would I LIKE to move? Far, far away... Canada was a first choice, but it's proximity to ground zero will probably see it swept along in the nightmare. Mexico is too unstable. So where would money go a long way, and where could we go so that we're simply not noticed?
When I figure it out, I will not tell. I just don't want any visitors.

oh come on, man :)

you have to at least PM me with that answer

being that there are at least 50 nations ahead of the usa in science/mathematics and a handful in fiscal spending per K-12 student, i can guess for places like japan, south korea, taiwan, germany, some country in scandinavia, or a real up and comer in southeast asia can beat the usa in the 21st century overall

i know america is not number one in anything anymore, but being that there are hundreds of countries and principalities, and that the usa is somewhere in the top ten, i am still quite ok with that...and i ain't no flag waiver with their head in the sand or up their "you know what"

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Abstract said:
"Slight exaggerations" here, but yes, it's a nice place. ;)

A matter of perspective then perhaps... ;) I've been to many rainforests in Australia and New Zealand, and have found Van Island's just as nice if not nicer in some respects. As for surfing, sure, good, not great, I'll give you that one. ;) As for whitewater rafting, I have met instructors in New Zealand and Colorado who have been all over the world and they have all said that the Kicking Horse near Golden, BC is their favorite. Take it for what it's worth I guess. ;) :cool:

j26

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2005
Paddyland
paddy said:
Ireland anyone?

Nobody wants to come here :mad: :mad:

I'd go back to Cuba tomorrow, but she who must be obeyed won't hear of it.
Okay the people are poor, but my god, what a wonderful people they are!!

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 24, 2004
Finally I have arrived.....
It seems many posters like Australia, NZ, Vancouver, Japan, UK, and Italy (they are all democratic and wealthy countries). I thought living expense in Canada was not that expensive; now after reading some comments on this, Vancouver is a very expensive city to live; no wander there are so many things you can do in that city as you would pay to play.
If I were as rich as Bill Gates, I would just buy an island near Australia (I think the weather is more mild compared to the Caribbean which will be hit with hurricanes every year) with all the supplies and power generators.

frankblundt

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2005
South of the border
Abstract said:
I'd choose NZ, but I'm not sure about economy or how much my career is in demand over there. I'd love to find out, though. It's a beautiful place. :)
Loads of guff on the govt immigration site on it (obviously one thing we need is more talented web designers... :p ).

The economy's ok, although we're heading for a "cooling off" period now.

The labour market is very tight, esp. for IT and other skilled professionals.

Cost of living is relatively high in Auckland, but more reasonable elsewhere.

I'm not moving anywhere, it's bloody great. :)

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
YS2003 said:
It seems many posters like Australia, NZ, Vancouver, Japan, UK, and Italy (they are all democratic and wealthy countries). I thought living expense in Canada was not that expensive; now after reading some comments on this, Vancouver is a very expensive city to live; no wander there are so many things you can do in that city as you would pay to play.
If I were as rich as Bill Gates, I would just buy an island near Australia (I think the weather is more mild compared to the Caribbean which will be hit with hurricanes every year) with all the supplies and power generators.

Erm, we get just as many cyclones a year as the Caribbean gets Hurricanes. The top end of Australia is at the same latitude as the Caribbean, just south instead of north.

Once you go far enough south to get away from the Cyclones you end up not having many islands to choose from, there are two really nice big ones off our east coast - they're a bit far away and the people talk funny and seem to be really friendly with sheep but they're nice islands.

ham_man

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2005
Chundles said:
Erm, we get just as many cyclones a year as the Caribbean gets Hurricanes. The top end of Australia is at the same latitude as the Caribbean, just south instead of north.

Once you go far enough south to get away from the Cyclones you end up not having many islands to choose from, there are two really nice big ones off our east coast - they're a bit far away and the people talk funny and seem to be really friendly with sheep but they're nice islands.
Kinda the same over in College Station... :rolleyes:

"Baaa" means no...

;)

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
YS2003 said:
I don't like frigid cold winder in New York, which I have gone through more than 10 years.
Winters in the northeast US are nowhere near being "frigid" on a regular basis. Except for part of February '03, it's been warmer than usual up here. ****ing ocean. :mad:
YS2003 said:
I thought taxes are sins in New Hampshire. I am guessing the state govt has to get some money from some place else such as property taxes.
They don't have sales tax, but they make up for it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.