Which DAW would you recommend

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by Lycanthrope, Mar 21, 2007.

1. Lycanthrope macrumors 6502

Hi All

Which software do you think I should start using - I've been messing in Garageband but want already to step up a level and learn something before I go too far down the wrong path. I'll just be using MIDI using a keyboard controller - no recording as such - and I could imagine some packages are better than others for this. I'll obviously like a strong sequencing tool plus loads of samples and soft-synth capabilities.

Anything that has classic synths - Moogs and Mellotrons - already on-baord would be a definite plus!

Seems from what I read that Pro Logic is the one I should get but it's really not so obvious - perhaps Logic Express is enough but I'm not sure without a deep investigation. Then I suppose I should wait for the pending Logic 8.

Oh yes, I'll be running on a mac pro which is also a pending purchase, hopefully an 8-core depending on pricing.

Cheers
    Dave :confused:

2. BCains macrumors regular

I think Logic fits the bill, especially if you are doing all MIDI/sequencing.

Maybe check out Reason 3 and Ableton Live also.

3. scottlinux macrumors 6502a

scottlinux

Logic. Comes with LOTS of stuff. Effects, instruments, reverbs, etc. Best for scoring with samples and other midi work, with audio tracks.

Pro Tools is probably best for strictly doing studio recording work. Midi is not so good on pro tools.

4. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

not to quibble about it too much, but i'd say that the PT midi tools are basic. "not so good" implies it doesn't work well. it works fine, if all you're doing is playing a part and adjusting the notes.

kinda like Performer back in, say, 1986 :)