Which desk do you prefer?

Discussion in 'Picture Gallery' started by Angelo95210, Oct 12, 2009.

1. macrumors 6502a

Angelo95210

Hi all !

As i am soon moving to a new flat, I am thinking about getting a new desk. I have picked two in the IKEA catalog, what do you think ? I want to put my 24' alu imac on it...

Attached Files:

2. macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

#2. The legs on #1 look like they could be annoying

3. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Angelo95210

Thanks ! And I love those flowers lol :eek:

4. macrumors 6502a

My cousin actually got that desk (second one) for her home office the other day. It looks very nice.

5. macrumors member

You'll regret getting No1

They may have changed slightly since I had one of those, but they are really badly build and get pretty wobbly after a year. Mind you it was cheap as chips and when it's time came, it made great kindling. Also as the previous poster mentioned the legs are really annoying. Forever knee-capping yourself swiveling out of the chair!

6. macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

#1 has more functional legs but if the build quality is what the above poster says it is then #2 may be good. Invest in a duster because you'll probably drive yourself nuts with the dust daily, not to mention the finger prints.

I like glass table tops but I think at best I'd have to have one over a wood desk. Not to mention I'm a native Californian and glass anything is a recipe for disaster.

7. macrumors member

I may have been overly harsh in my write off of No1. Jessica is right in that it has more practical legs. The ability to set your own height and angle is great.(Not sure this would be a good idea with an imac though!) My real bone of contention was that I had a tower, so although they fit, the dvd tray would foul the legs. The shelves would be good for NAS, etc though.

Jessica: Eeek! The idea of toughened glass shattering during a tremor whilst you are fishing around with cables doesn't bear thinking about.

8. macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

Another vote for #2. That picture certainly sells it.

9. macrumors 6502

savoirfaire

I agree that with #1 the legs do take up a fair bit of room. #2 is a little too flowery for me, though, I have to say. I got the Galant desk from Ikea because it's so customizable and every time I move, I can reconfigure it to maximize my usage of the available space.

10. macrumors regular

I'm 5 ft 8

Neither. The first looks like it belongs in a woodworking shop. The second belongs in a hairdressing shop. YMMV

11. macrumors regular

i saw the second one yesterday and believe me, that is the one you should get its gorgeous! me and the GF fell in love with it :)

12. macrumors member

If you get no. 2 think about different legs those legs were very wobbly in the ikea store.

13. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Angelo95210

So I will get the 2nd with # feet and post a picture here ! :)

14. macrumors 604

Melrose

Yeah. Go with the second one. Even then, the legs might be a bit of an annoyance. If you want a really snazzy desk, go to DWR; They've got awesome office stuff.

15. macrumors 68020

heehee

I have the one similar to #1, but a glass top instead, and the legs look abit different. I love it, the legs don't bother me at all.

16. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Angelo95210

The thing I like in the first one -an which you might have not noticed- is that there is a light table incorporated. It sounds very arty, like a cartoon illustrator etc. Even I would have nothing to do with this functionality I fancy it lol

Still I will try to get the second one with better feet

17. macrumors 6502a

Yakuza

well that depends.

the glass one the mouse will not work. the first one, yeah it's nice, but like someone as allready said dose legs look annooying, and ugly, the table as that glassy part thingy, if you will not use it for drawing on paper, it just will take space.

rather than that they all look good, got one myself second ou third one lol

18. macrumors 601

Have you only seen them in a catalogue?
    Better to have a look proper.

The 1st one I considered myself a while back. But the "lightbox" is really just a gimmick taking up space and I didn't get it.

Although that is not to be taken as a recommendation for the 2nd one. ;)

Go have a look in the store.

19. macrumors G5

ucfgrad93

Agreed, I don't care for either of them. I like to have some drawers in my desk to put in all the crap that would otherwise lay onto of the desk.

20. macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

The second one if those are your only choices. I personally have the Galant desk and love it. the legs are not in the way and they are hight adjustable too.

21. macrumors 6502

nava

Definitely #2, but it is also too messy looking, i like it simple and clean.

This is what im going to get

Attached Files:

22. macrumors member

Diejws

Out of only those two choices, I'd go with #2, but personally I'd prefer to continue looking.

23. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Angelo95210

Yeah the Galant and the last one posted here sounds too professional... It will stands in the middle of my living room...

24. macrumors 68030

Arran

Never mind a tremor. If anything breaks the glass, your 24" iMac hits the floor. Better have good backups (and thick carpets!)

25. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Angelo95210

Ouch.... never never ever say this again ! :eek: Such a frightening thought !!! I hope this will never happen... fingers crossed !!!