Which devices do you think will receive iOS 7?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by pk7, Jan 8, 2013.

Which devices do you think will receive iOS 7?

1. iPhone 3GS

15 vote(s)
  2. iPhone 4

126 vote(s)
  3. iPad 2

92 vote(s)
  4. iPad 3

140 vote(s)
  5. iPod touch (4th generation)

87 vote(s)
  6. iPad mini/iPod touch 5 will NOT receive iOS 7

20 vote(s)
  1. pk7, Jan 8, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2013

macrumors 6502

Sep 27, 2011
    Title says it all. In light of the recent iOS 7 rumors this was a curiosity of mine.

In my opinion, it's a given that the iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPad mini, iPad 4 and iPod touch 5 will receive it since they are all newer. I think the 3GS will be dropped.

What do you think?

Edit: the last option should read "iPad mini/iPod touch 5/iPhone 4S will NOT receive iOS 7"
  2. Guest

Dec 7, 2010
    iPhone 4
    iPhone 4S
    iPhone 5
    iPod Touch 5th gen
    iPad 2
    iPad Mini
    iPad 3
    iPad 4

iPhone 3GS and iPod Touch 4th gen will be dropped due to lack of RAM.
  3. macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    Melenkurion Skyweir
    iPhone 4 and up are given, since the iPhone 4 will still be on sale when iOS 7 comes out (just like the 3GS was when iOS 6 came out).

The iPad '3' and up are given, since they're 1) currently on sale, or (in the case of the iPad 3) 2) Apple promised 2 years of updates.

The iPod touches, whichever generation came with the iPhone 4S, and up. There will be much teeth-gnashing over this, as the specifications are almost identical with the iPod touches that came with the iPhone 4, however :)

The iPad 2 is a '?' here. On one hand, it's still on sale, but may be phased out before iOS 7 comes out, and given the early finger, just as the original iPad was given the finger with iOS 6.
  4. macrumors 68030

Sep 3, 2011
    All devices are still in production this year will receive the update. Plus the iPad 3.
  5. macrumors 68000

Aug 14, 2011
    Agreed, I don't need anymore things hogging down iOS on my iPod touch :p
  6. macrumors 68020

Mar 19, 2012
    Everything currently on sale plus the iPad 3. minus the iPod touch 4th gen.
  7. macrumors 65816

Oct 29, 2011
    iPhone 4 and up
    iPad 2 and up

But every device except for iPad 4 and iPhone 5s/6 will lose some core function of iOS7
  8. macrumors 68020

Mar 19, 2012
    I doubt the iPhone 5 or iPod touch 5 will lose anything either seeing as how they were just released
  9. macrumors 65816

Oct 29, 2011
    iPhone 4 didn't get Siri when the 4S was released.
  10. Guest

Dec 7, 2010
    Because honestly if the iPhone 4 also came with Siri...no one would upgrade to the iPhone 4S.
  11. macrumors 65816

Oct 29, 2011
    The same could be said if Apple releases an iPhone 5s which is very possible at this point.
  12. macrumors 6502

Jul 10, 2010
    I hope the 5 gets a full update, but like they say if it gets everything the 5S gets, why update?
  13. Guest

Dec 7, 2010
    Yup, although in iOS 6, all the features that the iPhone 5 got the iPhone 4S also got.

-Siri enhancements
    -FaceTime over cellular
    -Panorama mode
  14. macrumors 65816

Oct 29, 2011
    This is a wild guess but they might change the build of the phone a bit to add a NFC chip. Or maybe change the optics and internals to be able to do HDR video, seems to be the new thing in smart phone cameras based on the CES announcements.

I concede to that but the new body and screen convinced millions to upgrade from the 4S
  15. macrumors 6502

Jul 10, 2010
    NFC would be nice finally. Wireless charging would be even better. I can deal with the hardware upgrades, but hopefully no software hold backs.
  16. Guest

Dec 7, 2010
    I thought the 5's design made it so it was incompatible with NFC and Wireless charging.

could be wrong, but I thought some people did a breakdown and revealed it.
  17. macrumors 65816

Oct 29, 2011
    Yeah that's why I mentioned that they would have to change the body again. From what I know, the NFC chip will not work through an aluminium casing. One of the main reason why HTC One X is made of plastic when the One S is metal.
  18. macrumors 68020

Mar 19, 2012
    Apple can forget the specs. At this point, it's the software holding them back. At least to me.
  19. macrumors regular

May 15, 2013
    I selected everything but the 3GS and the retard last option.
  20. macrumors 68000

Aug 11, 2008
    Most people don't update every version to begin with.
    Every 2 years (if not more) on contract is what the majority of people do.
  21. macrumors regular

Aug 31, 2011
    Boston, MA
    Dude. iPhone 4S can't take photo's while recording video. That's why I upgraded...
  22. macrumors 6502

Mar 10, 2013
    If they implement real multi tasking I thing that iPhone 4 will be out of games....
  23. Guest

Dec 7, 2010
    1. You upgraded for that one feature?
    2. More like Apple purposely didn't include the feature rather than the iPhone 4S being not capable due to hardware/software limitations.
  24. Guest

Jan 29, 2008
    Glasgow, UK
    I agree 100% with this.

At the end of the day we see complaints on here than iOS has "hardly" changed, and it wasn't until iOS 4 and the introduction of home screen wallpapers and drop shadows behind the icons/text that we had a genuine reason for older devices slowing down after a new software update. The iPhone 3G suffered when iOS 4 introduced the aforementioned graphical changes due to it's lack of RAM and slower chipset.

Adding a new feature to the OS shouldn't make stock animations sluggish or stuttery on older devices when returning to the home screen from the Settings app, especially the likes of the 4S and 5 which are Dual Core phones.

I don't for one second think the 5 will show any signs of slowdown with iOS 7, and indeed it wouldn't be too much to assume that should we be moving to a "flat" design means less "strain" with the removal of these drop shadows and textures. Simplier graphics should mean iOS 7, realistically, should be as fast and smooth, if not more so, than iOS 6 on older devices (talking 4S, 5, iPad 2, 3, 4, and mini).
  25. macrumors 68030

Jan 20, 2010
    I agree... in part.

Apple can't afford to stop developing the hardware. Can you imagine the backlash if Apple announced that they were not going to change the iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad at all this year and focus solely on software? That might be a good thing to do, but it would be a fatal mistake Apple's not about to make.

The software is certainly more outdated than the hardware. Apple really needs to push some big changes in iOS 7 or they'll fall even further behind. A GUI refresh is one big thing. Also, I hope to see Apple loosening the reins on iOS in the near future, now that it's become a more mature OS. They've started to already, and I'm interested to see how far they'll go with it.

However, Apple does need to continue to update the hardware. NFC and induction charging would be great (though induction charging does make the portability of charging the phone more cumbersome, unless you can do it either way). While I wasn't super interested in the iPhone 5 (only a year into my contract and there were no compelling features the iPhone 5 had that my 4S didn't), I'm quite interested to see how the 5S is going to turn out.