Which Digital SLR?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by paulypants, Jun 23, 2004.

1. paulypants macrumors 6502a

paulypants

I need some advice choosing a digital SLR. I only want to spend max $1300 or so. I originally was going to go for the Canon digital rebel (i don't care about the body being plastic) but i realize it's been out for almost a year now and i don't want to spend a grand on it if it'll be updated soon (not as many canon rumor sites as mac rumor sites unfortunately ;))

I have also looked at a few other cameras such as the Nikon D70...

Anyone have any knowledge that will help? Anyone know when Canon updates it's lineups usually?

Thanks...

2. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Most people who have seen these SLRs would say the D70 is the best bet right now. This is always subject to change. But the best advice I can give you is that you know that all your money should be spent on the lenses, period. So once you pick a body, you're going to be buying lenses for a Nikon, Canon, etc. That's a big consideration.

I'm waiting for the next upgrade from Canon to the 10D - its way overdue - and since I have more that a couple lenses for the Canon cameras, I'm pretty much stuck with that unless I want to trade them all in and start over.

Go to www.dpreview.com and see what the pros have to say.

Good luck!

D

3. DGFan macrumors 6502a

The list probably goes:

(worst to best)
    Canon Digital Rebel
    Nikon D70
    Canon EOS-10D

How much you will be able to do with your camera will depend greatly on what lenses you get. And you will find that the lenses often cost more than the camera. The plus side is that a good lense will last a long time - certainly a lot longer than the digital camera body.

So when deciding on a camera body you will probably be making a decision for years to come. I would base the decision more on the lenses and the line of cameras from the company than simply which camera might be slightly better today.

For really good, in-depth reviews visit www.dpreview.com

4. javabear90 macrumors 6502a

javabear90

I'm going to get a D70, accually I was raising money for it just several minutes ago. :D I have a great comparasion I will attach.... I hope.... I just typed it up to convince my Dad. I dunno if the pictures will work or not.... but..

Edit: go to dpreview.com and go to compare, and read the reviews of both. Most people say that the D70 is a much better buy.

Attached Files:

• D70.txt
      File size:
      12.1 KB
      Views:
  5. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Hahahaha, that's damn funny - we were thinking exactly alike - I guess we're both right?

D :D

6. javabear90 macrumors 6502a

javabear90

jeez thats a lot of replies in like 6 minutes!! :eek:

7. stevec999 macrumors newbie

The Drebel and D70 are on par with each other. You have to decide which things are more important. I prefer the image form the Canon CMOS sensors.

You can currently pick up a 10D for your budget (no lens).

The thing that over rides the body is the lens system. Look at what Nikon and Canon have to offer and decide which lens systems will best handle your needs. Camera bodies will come and go but good lenses will be around a long time. Both systems have good and bad points to them. I have Canon equipment and like the way Canon does things. Many like Nikon better, it is almost as bad as PC vc Mac. Both can take great pictures.

Just for refereance I am using a Drebel and my main lens is the Canon 24-70 f2.8L but I am going to add a 10d and use the Drebel for my backup body.

Steve

8. James.Paul macrumors regular

I've been looking into this a lot and the Nikon D70 is getting great reviews all over the place, i shall probably get one in the next month. Just a shame that it is only 6 megapixels.

9. stevec999 macrumors newbie

James.Paul,
    Do not let the 6MP thing bother you, you can not compare these cameras to the point and shoots. The D70 (or Drebel/300d) will take better pictures than the 8MP point and shoots. It comes down to the size of the image sensor. The DSLRs have much larger sensors, in a word the quaility of the pixels are higher than the small sensor point and shoots.

I was just at the camera store a couple hours ago and one of the people was showing off a 36" tall print made from a Nikon D100 (6MP). The quality of the picture was fantastic.

10. DGFan macrumors 6502a

Don't worry too much about the megapixels. Having a high number of pixels does not guarantee quality. Check out the new 8MP cameras. Their images look downright terrible next to a 10D or D70 6MP image. Or even try comparing a Canon G2 (which I have) 4MP image to a Nikon D2H 4MP image. They're not even close.

11. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Because its all about the lens :D

That really makes the biggest difference.

D

12. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Right now the D70 wins because it was the last announced. So it has som nicer features.

The question you really need to ask is what lens mount do you want to use for the long term - Nikon or Canon. The D70 is the hot one today.

If Canon were t announce the 310D or the 20D tomorrow how would you feel if you bought a D70 today?

13. GeeYouEye macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

The D70 is great, better, IMO, than the Digital Rebel (I've used both quite a bit). Also, the lens in the D70 kit is much nicer than the one that comes with the Digital Rebel.

14. James.Paul macrumors regular

It doesn't bother me too much but my project requires images to be able to be printed at A3/A4 300 dpi (tourist brochure spreads - big files). A 6 megapixel although good will not produce enough pixels to fill that requirement. They are getting there, i'm encouraged by the quality of the D70, i think it is superior to some of the very expensive digital slr's and i will buy one next month and experiment with it but until they produce an image i'm happy with and that i can use at the size required without losing too much quality then i'll be sticking with a film based camera for my project work.

15. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I would not suggest the Canon 300D/Digital Rebel over the Nikon D70.

The D70 kit lens seems more durable and this would be a big point, esp. if that's your only lens. You could buy a better Canon lens but then you could actually spend more on it than on the 300D body. Also, if you're comfortable with the way non-Canon SLRs work, you'll probably be uncomfortable with the way the Canon works. Canon has great technical expertise, but their ergonomics are very, very different from any other brand.

16. stevec999 macrumors newbie

I guess i would recomend the Drebel over the D70, the D70 is a good camera but the the Drebel is also. Ignore the cameras and look at the lenses. I will agree the D70 kit lens is a better lens than the Drebel kit lens. I have the kit lens and it is not a bad lens but I use 24-70 2.8L which did cost more than the Drebel. The Drebel was my way to swith to a DSLR, I will be keeping it as a backup and buying a 10D in a couple weeks.

Consider the Drebel with out the lens and pick up the 28-135 IS, that will fit in your budget.

I guess the best thing I can tell you is buy the one you want, you will not go wrong either way.

17. DGFan macrumors 6502a

Both the standard D70 and DRebel lenses aren't terribly good. Thankfully you can buy both without the lense. But the DRebel is about $180-200 cheaper. With that money you are most of the way to a decent entry-level 24-85mm (or so) zoom lense (should run around $300).

I think a lot of people have a problem with the DRebel just because the grey body makes it look amateurish.

18. stcanard macrumors 65816

stcanard

Depending on how much you like to "fiddle" with things, don't forget that there is a firmware hack available for the Rebel to enable a number of the 10D features that already exist in the firmware ... you can't improve the timing or body obviously, but you can get features like mirror lock up.

19. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    where can i get this firmware hack and is it easy to undo?

20. paulypants thread starter macrumors 6502a

paulypants

Wow, thanks for all the great responses! I've done some more research on lenses and such and I think I'm going the canon route because the assortment of lenses that canon offers seems to suit my needs more. The D70 looks nice, but I think i may get more out of a canon for my needs.

However, now the decision is between a DRebel or 10D, maybe I should get the DRebel body with better lens and try that firmware hack.

hmmmm...

21. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

I would HIGHLY recomend going with a Canon DSLR. They're all good, just get the one that is most in your budget.

ALSO REMEMBER: Lenses are very important for DSLR, don't get a more expensive camera and the expense of having to get too cheap of a lens

22. iBook macrumors regular

Go with the Nikon

I have to weigh in on the side of the Nikon D70.

I've now held both cameras, and it is my clear choice. The Canon Rebel feels "plasticky," almost as though the shutter could come springing out the back when you snap a photo. The Nikon, by contrast, feels solid yet light and has a classic, clean design.

I have a long history (15 years) with Nikon SLR cameras, so maybe I'm "wired" to like them better, but I've never been less-than-satisfied with the results. Nikon lenses are among the finest of the world and the reviews of the D70 are overwhelmingly positive.

The D70 will produce photo-quality prints that are poster-sized and larger.

Can't wait to get one of my own.

23. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

I'm also considering the two... I like the D-70 but its also alot more $. I'm prob. gonna get the lens because i don't have the budget to buy a $400 lens. I'm son confused about the two. I'm prob gonna ask the person at my mom and pop camera store he/she recommends.

24. stcanard macrumors 65816

stcanard

As long as the flash goes fine, it's supposed to be easy to undo. It's not really a hacked firmware, so much as it's enabling features that are already there but turned off.

Google 'russian rebel firmware' (it's a guy in Russia that did it) and you should find a lot, including other people's experiences.

OB Disclosure: I don't actually have a rebel to try it out, I just _really_ want one.

25. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Well, its like going to a geek convention and asking what kind of slide rule is best.