Which Digital Video Recorder to Buy?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by HBRedRider, Dec 22, 2006.

1. HBRedRider macrumors newbie

Which would give me the best gameplay video quality from my xbox 360? The Ads Tech Pyro A/V Link or the Canopus ADVC 110? I have heard good things about both, but the Pyro A/V Link offers component input/output, which could be used with my xbox 360 component cables. How would this affect the video quality compared to the ADVC 110 which can only use composite cables? I have a Macbook and would like to record video while continuing to play on the tv with a device such as this... http://www.radioshack.com/product/i...ution&kw=video+distribution&parentPage=search

2. Bob Jovi macrumors regular

I brought a Topfield Topfield TF5800 PVR a couple of months back and have been very happy with it. It's good as I can hook it up to my mac and use Planet Earth as stock footage.

3. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

The conversion quality in the Canopus is fanstastic. I bought an inexpensive one and the results have been really good for importing DV from VHS.

4. HBRedRider thread starter macrumors newbie

well the topfield is a uk model and I am located in the us so I don't know if it is the best option.

I have heard the ADVC 110 may slightly have better image quality, but I am wondering because it doesn't have a component input/output. I want to keep playing the games on my tv, so I am looking into a component splitter. In the splitter posted above, could I put component in (from my xbox) and have component and composite out? That way I could run component to my tv and the composite to the ADVC 110. Is that even worth it? I mean is video quality better using the composite input on the ADVC 110 than the component input on the Pyro A/V link?

Thank you for the replies so far.