Which display for mini?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by keymoo, Jun 3, 2005.

1. keymoo macrumors member

I would like to get a new display for my new mini. I was going to get the Apple Cinema 20" but it costs £550.

I then saw the Dell Ultrasharp 2005FPW 20" widescreen LCD Flat Panel at £336 and thought it sounded a good deal. Has anyone bought the Dell? Is it any good? Will the mini drive it OK?

Cheers,
    keymoo

2. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

The dell's are very nice monitor's and are made by sony but the £336 price tag is before V.A.T and delivery so that will take you upto near a apple display which i would go for over the dell anyday, maybe its worth saving up for the Apple display it will be worth it.

SHadow

3. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

You can find lots of suggestions here or in one of the many other display/monitor threads.

4. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

For a small machine like a Mini, I think it would only be fair to buy a 30" Apple LCD - the visual of this setup is worth it on its own! ;)

5. Lancetx macrumors 68000

Lancetx

Yeah, it's a shame that the Mac mini won't drive the 30" display, that would indeed be quite a visual! :)

6. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

My mini drives a 2005FPW just fine - so if its in your budget, got for it!

7. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

I say buy an LCD that is DVI for a Mac Mini. Just whatever brand you would like. That is the awesome thing about Mac's, you don't really need hardware specific drivers for monitor, unlike windoze. I've plugged in my Compaq Presario 1400 Monitor up to the PowerMac G5, and I mean it was tiny, but it worked with nothing required.

8. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Then people would really be saying, "Where's the computer?" ;)

9. amartins02 macrumors newbie

So, in your opinion guys which is better or has more advantages a 20 inch dell (the 2005FPW i think, the wide screen) or a 19 or 26 inch wide screen lcd tv? I am wondering exactly which is best because if the tv lcd does the job and you get a tv out of it to then isn't it worth it? Or is there a difference with refresh rates? Will the tv lcd underperform in games? Thanks guys.

10. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Go for the Dell over a TV. You'll get better performance across the board, plus the USB hub. The Dell can take a signal from DVI, VGA, SVideo, and maybe composite (not sure on that last one) all at once. You can switch between sources, side by side, picture in picture, etc.