Which DVD drive for my G4??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by kiemposan, Jun 10, 2004.

1. kiemposan macrumors newbie

Hi, I currently own a G4 dual 1.25 with mirrored doors, and i am looking to buy an extra optical drive. i have the factory installed combo drive and would like to add a superdrive or equivalent. i was advised by the salesman at Micro Anvika(UK) to get the pioneer DVR-A07XLA, i did this and found out about 5 mins ago that its the wrong size!! the loading tray is too wide for the door on the front of the G4! damn it. So i would appreciate any advice on what drive to get .

thanks guys

2. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    did you pop the front bezel of the drive off?

3. reaper macrumors 6502

You can actually take off the front of the drive door (the bezel) so that the drive will slide through the opening. In fact, this is what you will have to do regardless of what drive you get. You can take it off quite easily by sliding the front part of the carriage off. I have done this in my own dual 1.25 MDD so if you need any more advice, just ask or PM me.

Also, you will need to make the pioneer the master drive so that the computer will think it's a sd.

- reaper

4. kiemposan thread starter macrumors newbie

take the front off the new drive??

not quite sure what you mean

5. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    You can remove the front bezel of the tray, where it says "Pioneer DVD RW".

If you open the tray, look at where the front tray bezel meets the tray itself, i can't rememeber which direction exactly, but you can push the front bezel to one side, then lift the bezel off. (the drive on my Dell pushes to the left, then drop down.)

If that's the part you were talking about.

6. kiemposan thread starter macrumors newbie

i cant help but sound stupid but out do i eject the tray without power? tried paper clip in manual hole thing, i dont want to force it.

7. kiemposan thread starter macrumors newbie