Which DVD media is best?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ChrisA, Oct 23, 2006.

1. ChrisA macrumors G4

I just installed a new Pioneer DVR-K06 into my G4 Mini and it has trouble burning DVDs from apps other then the burn folder and Finder. Before I return the drive I thought I'd try testing with better quality DVD media. Any suggestions for "know good" brands?

The DVR-k06 shows up in "about this mac" as being "apple supplied/supported" so Mac OSX thinksthis is an Apple supplied supper drive.

2. spicyapple macrumors 68000

spicyapple

Look for Taiyo Yuden brand DVDs. There are many fakes, so buy from a trusted and respectable supplier.

3. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada

what the heck brand is that? never heard of it...

anyway, I use maxell's - Fuji's - and occationally verbatim DVD-R's

works great

invest in Toast 7, you won't be sorry.

4. DXoverDY macrumors 6502a

5. animenick65 macrumors 6502

I second taiyo yudens. Cost a bit more but can burn at higher than rated speeds and archive life is awesome. I use them for backing up my pictures. To date I have not had a coaster. Whats that disco app? Is that to compete with TOast?

6. spicyapple macrumors 68000

spicyapple

Hmm... from Vancouver I see.

Try WIMMEDIA.com and click on the DVD-R Media link. TYs are going for 75 cents/50-pk spindles. They're located near IKEA off the bridge.

7. richpjr macrumors 68020

richpjr

If you are in the states and have an Office Depot nearby, they have 100 packs of Sony DVD-R and DVD+R's on sale for $24.99. The regular price is $76.99 - $52 off! And best of all, they gave me a $10 off coupon for my next purchase there.

8. ChrisA thread starter macrumors G4

Thanks. Yes have Office Depot nearby. How does one decide between DVD-R and DVD+R? It used to be that DVD burners only did one or the other but all modern DVD burners do both now. So how to choose. Coin filp?

9. rowdy268 macrumors member

Dvd-r

I have stuck with DVD-R since I do a lot of video stuff and have to copy DVD for people. I have a guy here in our office that uses DVD+R and he has more compatablity problems than I do...

I would go for DVD-R!

10. DXoverDY macrumors 6502a

Is that without mail in rebates?

I may pick up a few for that price. With the new Mac Pro on the way with a superdrive they'll be useful.

11. richpjr macrumors 68020

richpjr

Instant rebate - no mail in!

I went for the -R since in the past I've had better compatibility in older machines. They are both 16x too.

Here is a link to the ad:

http://officedepot.shoplocal.com/of...279694&rapid=0&listingid=-2094223096&offerid=

12. DXoverDY macrumors 6502a

13. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

TDK or Apple brand (rebadged TDK) is #1. Taiyo Yuden is a close second.

14. richpjr macrumors 68020

richpjr

It's funny, I have had so-so results with TDK disks. I had several of them that couldn't be read on various computers.

15. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

Strange. I researched this very same topic fully a few years back when deciding which brand to trust with my memories and TDK trumped the competition.

16. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I can echo richpjr's results, I had nothing but trouble with TDK DVD+R blanks, though I still like and use their CD-R blanks. It may have something to do with the fact that many brands have many different actual suppliers and just apply their brand to discs made by someone else. This is why choosing genuine TY or some other company that actually makes their own can be important...

It can also have something to do with where you get your blanks. The TDKs I had trouble with were cheap @Costco.

B

17. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

I'm curious to know what the media ID is for that particular batch of discs. I don't know how to retrieve it on a Mac since all I've used for that purpose is Nero InfoTool.

18. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Nero reports RICOHJPN R01 from a disc burned in 2003 At that time I was using an HP burner.

Seems others like 'em: http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=146792

B

19. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

Generally speaking in my experience sometimes you can look at the manufactorers support site and see what they recommended for their burner. A lot of times they will state which media they used in testing.