Which DVD recorder?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by atomheartmother, Sep 29, 2006.

1. atomheartmother macrumors regular

Aug 27, 2006
    I'm trying to decide between these two DVD recorders. The only difference I see is that the Panasonic has DVD-RAM. From what I understand this is desirable as DVD-RAM's can be recorded over 10x as many times as DVD-RW (like 10,000 vs 1,000). They also allow you to watch a show that you are recording from the beginning. That is really the only interesting feature as I don't ever see recording over a DVD even 1,000 times.

However, supposedly I can do that function (watc a show that is recording from the beginning) with the Toshiba that doesn't have DVD-RAM. It is listed to have some Timeslip function that (according to some little descritive paragraph at BestBuy) allows you to do the above stated.

So is it worth going the extra $38 (the prices are a bit different in store vs online) for the Panasonic. I figured that with the extra $38, I could get the 2 year warranty for $30 if I went with the Toshiba. But if the Panasonic is considerably better...

We don't have any HiDef crap or anything (just a cheap flat screen TV) and will only be using this to occasionally record a TV show here and there.

Here they are:

Here are some more detailed specs I found on another site.

2. atomheartmother thread starter macrumors regular

Aug 27, 2006
    C'mon. I thought nerdy geeks like you guys could give some answers.