Which DVD?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by moko, Sep 1, 2005.

1. moko macrumors newbie

I have a G4 with a combo drive and want to fit a DVD burner, however I want it to be compatable with idvd etc. I have looked into patchburn and will go that way if need be, however some people have posted in the past that they have put in a 3rd party drive and it worked ok without patchburn.

I am wondering if this is because these are models which Apple use - so if I knew which models were used in new G5's I could maybe fit one of these?

So, if you have fitted a DVD burner which works with the i apps, can you post the model and perhaps some of the G5 owners could post the model of their burners?

thanks. :)

2. admiraldennis macrumors regular

Apple either uses Hitachi or Pioneer drives nowadays. I'm not honestly sure.

However, assuming you're running 10.4, any Pioneer, Hitachi, and most other DVD drive should work no problem.

3. moko thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for those replies but perhaps I need to be more clear. I'm looking for a drive that, once install shows as a supported drive, which I believe some do.
    Perhaps I am mistaken.

cheers, :)

4. admiraldennis macrumors regular

Just about any Pioneer or Hitachi drive will work, along with various other makes.

5. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Find a drive with a good price, and check if it's in the database. Not hard to do really.