Which DVR Camcorder should I get?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by blinddog, Dec 27, 2004.

1. blinddog macrumors newbie

Dec 27, 2004
    Deep in the heart of Texas
    Hi All, I received a Sony DCR-DVD 101 handycam for Christmas, only to find out its not Mac compatible, so I can't edit/create iMovies with its data. I will take it back, but I am wondering what might be the best Mac friendly equivalent, in the $ 800 range? It was purchased at Circuit City, so I would like to exchange it if possible.

Thanks for the advice, and Happy Holidays!

2. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

Sep 21, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    For your $800 budget my vote is for a Panasonic GS-200.

Whatever you get, avoid mini-DVD and microMV. Just go for miniDV.
  3. puckhead193 macrumors G3

May 25, 2004
  4. EJBasile macrumors 65816

Apr 20, 2004
    I like the sonys- see if you can find a compatible one, otherwise canons are nice.
  5. atari1356 macrumors 68000

Feb 27, 2004
    The Panasonic GS-200 and GS-120 are good choices.... both have 3 CCDs, which will reproduce colors much better than the single CCD video cams. I have the GS120 and love it. The GS-200 is a bit nicer since it has a manual focus ring (although I've never had a situation where I felt the need to manually focus) - and an external remote thingy with external microphone. If you don't need those extras, the GS-120 is just as good.

EDIT: to be accurate, I should also add that the GS-200 takes larger still pictures (2.3 megapixels vs. 1.2 megapixels)... either way though, you're better off using a regular digital camera for stills