Which easier to rip- HD-DVD or Blu-ray?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by princealfie, Jun 30, 2006.

1. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

Which format will be easier to rip the flick/video to put onto my ipod?

2. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I would guess right now Blu-Ray since I don't know that there are any HD-DVD drives for computers yet. However I would actually guess neither since I don't think any of the encryption schemes have been defeated yet. Once either or both of them have been defeated then it probably won't matter.

If you're ripping to iPod though you really don't need to start out with that high quality of source material. DVD will be plenty fine.

3. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

I read quite a while ago that HD-DVD was going to have the ability for users to make backups, but the Blu-Ray camp didn't want to risk the possible copyright infringement, and was going to go the other way by making the protection even more secure.

This was a long time ago, and the encryption standards have probably changed.

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

What's the point unless you have an iPod with a HD display? Still, once the encryption is broken it's moot. Handbrake HD, anyone?

5. GooMan macrumors regular

GooMan

Everything I have heard/read says BluRay will be harder to break. That makes sense to me since Sony is behind BluRay.

6. milo macrumors 604

Even with a regular ipod (or any other secondary viewer...video in the car?), you'd want to be able to rip movies you buy. What's the alternative, buy both formats?

I assume both formats will be claimed to be hard to break, yet both will end up getting broken before too long. Still, that's yet another reason to wait before buying a player.

7. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Blu-ray and HD-DVD have available the same set of formats.

8. bbrosemer macrumors 6502a

bbrosemer

Hey maybe all computers shipping with Blu-Ray will have Sony Rootkits that will blow up your computer if you try to copy a movie.:eek:

9. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

They still sell DVD's don't they? Oh wait...