Which electric toothbrush?

Discussion in 'Community' started by inlimbo, May 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. inlimbo macrumors 6502

I was brushing my teeth this morning and realised that im stuck in the past, well at least with respect to dental hygiene. Further, a family friend came over today and asked my how my PB was going. I said "it is the best thing I have ever bought." And she replied that the best thing that she had bought is her Braun electric toothbrush. So I want one! Everyone raves about them.

So what do u guys recommend? I don't know what model my family friend was using (she's a crazy old english women and couldn't remember - bless her). Her Braun one also had some sort of jet which spits water in between your teeth? I dunno what its called? I want that!

I read someone raving about their Crest Spinbrush Pro. What do you recommend? I want a good one with all the best features - spare no expense :p

Cheers
    inlimbo

P.S. I know this is a bit of a bizarre thread but I know that macrumors members are a bit bizarre. :)

2. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

I recently got one too. An oral-b one with rechargeable batteries and "docking station" - i can't tell the difference between the actual brush in my (the cheapest) version or the top-of-the-range ones (£100) - just the charging units.
    Decent! my :D is getting whiter!

3. inlimbo thread starter macrumors 6502

Ha Ha cherrs James. What model is yours? Yeah I want one with a docking station and not have to replace batteries all the time.

4. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

Economical - good man!
    It's called the Oral-B "Professional Care xxxx" - cant remember the number, sorry! It appears the electronics are made by Braun, it was the cheapes of the range in the supermarket, but like I say, the actual toothbrush part seems identical from the £35 model to the £80 one. The charging stations seem to get bigger so you can have a little space for storage - meh point?
    Picture attached.

Attached Files:

5. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I was using those Colgate electric toothbrushes that take AA batteries and cost around $7 USD, or around 5 quid, etc etc.

They worked great. I really don't see the need to buy such expensive toothbrushes when the electric I had was so cool. Problem with them is that they die on you every year or so, but big deal.

6. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Since you're upgrading your toothbrush...

Next, you'll have to splurge and upgrade to one of the Japanese computer controlled bidets.

And keep both ends of your body clean using current technology. ;)

Note: I'm still stuck in the past myself, since I can't afford the best equipment money can buy. :(

7. inlimbo thread starter macrumors 6502

Ha Ha ... Hopefully it doesn't go that far!

8. iGary Guest

iGary

9. joecool85 macrumors 65816

joecool85

I use the spinbrush pro but I had my dentist appointment a couple days ago and found out that I should probably switch back to a regular toothbrush since my "gums [were] showing signs of wearing."

10. sourcemonkey macrumors regular

i guess i must have been out of the loop on this dental technology. the pro-spec brush with the jet system looks great - ill check it out. I'm using that 'new' listerine citrus mouthwash at the moment. its a refreshing change: i recommend tryng that in conjunction with the new brush. :D

11. efoto macrumors 68030

I wish I remember the source, but in a recent dental trial (according to my Dentist) the Oral-B Professional Series (7845 or something :p) beat the latest Sonicare for daily cleaning and is now most recommended by dental professionals (my office sells both so I assume not bias). I had a Sonicare for years, then the battery just died one day (think my ex-gf dropped the damn thing) so when I was looking again my dentist told me all that crap, and I bought an Oral-B, and I LOVE IT. In all honesty, I prefer it to the Sonicare, although I am sure both give you a very good cleaning over a 'manual' brush.

12. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

This has to be one of the most bizarre threads ever!?
    I want a brush that records movement relative to my teeth that I can sync with my Mac to do a Formula-1 style analysis of my "best" brushing and my average cover and warning areas that i did not cover in the last brush! :D

13. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I have a Sonicare elite, and wouldn't trade it for any other. I had an older Sonicare for years - years - and eventually decided I wanted a different one. It kept on working like a trooper, but well over half a decade of use - dropping it, etc. - made it too beat-up looking.

I bought a new elite last year, and expect to use this one until it too becomes to beat up. I suspect they never actually die....

14. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

BTW, the Sonicare bested the Oral-B for plaque removal.

It's a study hosted on the Philips site, so I'm sure it's not biased or anything. ;)

I'm guessing that the Sonicare and Oral-B are both about as good as each other. I know the Sonicares have traditionally been built like tanks and lasted forever... just my personal experience.

15. mpw Guest

Would that be by Bluetooth?

16. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR... of course.

17. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

I prefer firewire 800 - so i can get them instantly - and charge the batteries too! :D

18. Dreamkatcha macrumors regular

Dreamkatcha

I thought electric toothbrushes were great too... right up until the point where I had to have enamel substitute glued to half a dozen of my teeth to repair the damage they cause. :mad:

You don't realize how abrasive they can be when you're putting zero effort into brushing your teeth. I've since gone back to using a very soft manual brush. I really wish I hadn't seen that special promotional offer at Argos.

19. wowser macrumors 6502a

wowser

The best ones are with the circular brush-heade, like the Brauns (and unlike the Sonicare pictured), which rotate back and forth quickly. So, Brauns are best.

20. takao macrumors 68040

takao

i second that got a lot recommadations for the Braun as well heard no complaints so far

21. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

I've been using a Sonicare for about 5 yearsnow. I'm very pleased with the Sonicares, I'm on my second. My dentist tells me they're the best.

22. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

For all you people spending lots of money on toothbrushes, I hope you floss. Its as important as brushing.

I brush (manually) and floss AND use mouthwash, and I probably do a better job at cleaning my teeth than anybody who only uses an electric toothbrush. I don't even get morning breath because the mouthwash probably makes my mouth uninhabitable by bacteria. :cool:

23. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I use a Braun Ultra Plak Control rechargeable tooth brush. Have been using it for almost two years.

24. bbarnhart macrumors 6502a

bbarnhart

My wife and I use a Sonicare... don't know which one. It's about a year old. Works great. My teeth feel 5x cleaner than with a manual toothbrush.

25. Nuc macrumors 6502a

Nuc

I'll try to explain this to the best of my ability... My wife has explained to me (she's a dental hygienist)... The Oral-B is only effective if you brush each individual tooth thoroughly (this is what the tests/trials are based on), also it is harsh on your gums (e.g. tears them up). She has seen a lot of patients that use either the sonicare or the Oral-B. The results she has seen are that the sonicare works the best overall. She can tell the difference and sonicare has the best results. She says that overall, people are lazy and don't brush each tooth individually, so therefore the Oral-B is not as effective as the sonicare. The sonicare is more gentle on the gum and gives the best results clinically. I've been using the sonicare since high school and I would never switch! With the sonicare your done in two minutes (30 seconds for each quadrant).

In my opinion get the sonicare elite, not the new one that has self dispensing toothpaste. I saw the prices for the toothpaste for it :eek: plus the thing is huge.

Nuc

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.