Which Encodes Faster: iDVD or DVDSP?

Discussion in 'Mac Applications and Mac App Store' started by LeicaM8, Dec 2, 2012.

1. macrumors member

LeicaM8

Wondering if there is much of a difference in encoding times between iDVD and DVD Studio Pro?
    Currently takes 4-5 hrs for 90min HD footage into iDVD using 720p h264 MP4 source footage on my mid 2010 MacPro 12gig 2.8GHz Quad Core.
    Going to add SSD to setup already to tackle this bottleneck, but I've heard good things about DVDSP and wondering if also would speed up encodes too?

Sncerely,
    Richard in Michigan

2. macrumors 65816

phoenixsan

Maybe....

this info is outdated, but a m2v file with running time of 30 minutes, was enconded using a PowerMac G5 with dual 2.0 GHz processors and 4.5 GB of RAM in fifty minutes. Using DVDSP 3.0 and making the conversion first with Compressor and later importing it in DVDSP

:):apple:

3. thread starter macrumors member

LeicaM8

Thx for the info.
    Using the patented estimat-i-con 2012, I have a feeling that encode time is roughly equivalent to what I'm eeking out of iDVD on my 2010 MacPro. Cnsidering that an Intel 4 2.8GHz Core Intel Xeon is a lot more muscular than a dual G5 (lovely as it was in it's day) I have real hope of Compressor & dvdsp gaining me some real advantages.
    Now to see if I can come up with a copy. Maybe on eBay? Hmmm
    Sincerely
    R