Which English speaking countries are safe?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by witness, Jul 22, 2005.

1. macrumors 6502

The worst thing about all this recent terrorist activities is that I'm sure that the government (UK) is going to use these incidents as an excuse to bring in ID cards and other schemes to restrict our freedoms.

Are there any English speaking countries left that haven't been affected or got involved in all this terrorist stuff? USA, UK, Australia (though I'm not sure if on their own territory) have all been hit recently.

If I wanted to move to a safe English speaking country where citizens still have rights and terrorists have no interest, where would I go?

2. macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

why do you ask? are you considering moving?

seems like no one country is safer than any other in this current environment :(

3. macrumors member

Maybe, if one government adds so many security restrictions that it makes it hard for terrorists to attack, they go to an "easier" country. This could've been what happened to the US after our terror attack. I doubt this is the case, but it might be. You might want to try moving to a country that isn't a big ally with the US (read= Bush) or any other powerful country. Of course, this is all speculation.

4. thread starter macrumors 6502

Well I haven't been too happy here in the UK. It's over crowded and because the government like to get involved in every other countries business they attract a lot of attention (good and bad).

I've lived in and visited quite a few countries, mainly in Europe though I have been to the USA (an experience I never want to repeat).

I haven't been to Australasia, what do our AU and NZ members think of their own countries and control that their governments have over their citizens?

5. macrumors G4

Chundles

No country is safe, you just have to toss up perceived "safety" against a country's ability to deal with an attack with regards to hospitals, fire, police, military etc.

The best countries to be able to handle these attacks are, without any hint of racism, western countries. Countries with a lower standard of living or lack of targets may seem initially safer but what happens when a sudden attack occurs and they can't cope with the consequences.

I would rather live in a western country, going about my business as I always have and always will despite what the terrorists have to say, in the knowledge that we have the resources to respond quickly and well to any incidents.

As for governments using such attacks to bring in all sorts of liberty-limiting legislation I think that is deplorable, it gives the terrorists the idea that the attacks are working.

6. thread starter macrumors 6502

The US and the UK both like to get involved with and take control of other countries business; I think that's why they have more problems than most.

7. macrumors G4

Chundles

As for an aussie impression of government control, we fight tooth and nail with our government - who ever is in power doesn't matter, we don't like authority and never will.

I do however like the fact that we all have to vote as it means that at the end of the day (or two at most) we know that the party that got the most votes (or the most votes after preferences, don't get me started) is in power. It also gives all of us a mandate to whinge and moan about the government, something you don't get to do with any legitimacy if you do not vote.

8. mpw

Two things;
    A) Move anywhere just speak S L O W & L O U D !
    B) Your username, I like the idea of witness relocating to avoid terrorism.

9. macrumors G3

I like the idea of ID cards myself... I don't see how they'd restrict my freedom.

I'd like it even more if we had a card that was an amalgamtion of an ID card, drivers license, passport, medical card (for those that require one) etc... it'd save me a lot of hassle that's for sure.

10. Guest

caveman_uk

Canada? New Zealand?

11. macrumors regular

You could go to the UAE in the Middle East (esp. dubai). My goodness, Dubai is such an advanced city it is unbelievable! As far as I know, english is a common language there

12. macrumors newbie

One word... Canada.

One of the most beautiful countries in the world, friendly people, no enemies (as far as I know), not overly-intrusive government, but has a system of support if needed (i.e. healthcare, social security etc). And before anyone asks, no, I'm not Canadian. Only negative - the winters.

13. macrumors 68000

Loge

... until someone asks you to show two forms of ID. ;)

14. Guest

caveman_uk

I don't doubt Charles Clarke would love to get some spin out of this to punt his ID cards. He has a few problems though.

1) The bombers were British.
    2) We didn't seem to have much of a problem identifying them without ID cards as they conveniently carried all their other ID with them.

Unless they make ID cards six foot high and out of kevlar I fail to see how they would help right now.

15. macrumors G3

Sounds like a positive to me... :D

16. mpw

Half French or half Orcs, hmmm not much to choose between really?

17. macrumors 65816

broken_keyboard

Yes - those are the two I would have said. On the other hand, maybe you are safer in the US, UK, Australia because the police there would be more on alert?

18. macrumors G3

hahahahaha it's a pain in the arse when that happens isn't it. :p

I hope they stick a 5 grand credit limit on it as well... it'd be like the Swiss army knife of ID cards then :D

19. macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I'd just prefer that they wait until the technology they want to use is a little less bleeding-edge and cheaper. Given the mistakes and issues with the new passport, air-traffic control, Child Support systems, I'm not entirely sure I trust them to implement another new technology/database system on this scale without it costing a lot more than their estimates and with a lot more guarantees on who has access to it and for what purposes.

20. macrumors G3

I absolutely agree with you... they need to get it right. If anything, I think the Governments current proposals don't go far enough though, I really like the idea of a fully integrated, single card.

21. thread starter macrumors 6502

An ID card might not directly restrict you, but there will be a lot of personal data captured and used by the government if/when these come in. What are they going to do with that?

22. macrumors 6502a

If you move to Canada, wouldn't you have to say, "eh?" after everything?

23. macrumors 604

Lacero

Thank goodness we live in Canada, where our sovereignty was born out of diplomacy and not bloodshed. And thank goodness we have sane leaders like Chretian who opposed the war in Iraq and Paul Martin who shot down Bush's Missile Defense Shield. :D :D :D We Canadians are the bestest, nicest people in the world.

24. macrumors 65816

broken_keyboard

It's kinda scary to me. One card is easier to forge than driver's license, birth certificate, social security card...

And presumably the cards would be accompied by a mega-database which would be hacked quick smart. Until computer security is more of a "solved problem" no mega DB please...

25. macrumors 68000

Sharewaredemon

Pitch forking mulch in Nova Scotia, Canada
    I hope you are joking about the half French comment.
    as only one of 10 provinces is French, and 1 other is both languages. Though there is French all over Canada. The only places where you will have trouble communicating perfectly in English is Québec (Montreal is a bit different) and Northern New Brunswick.