Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ogee

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2006
Earth.
Which external drive (Mac or PC ) are you using to store your files for ATV?

Also, would you recommend yours to others?

Im puzzled by the question. ATV doesnt support external discs. Do you mean external disc (on your MAC) for iTunes media?

mindcrash

macrumors member
Dec 18, 2007
I like the setup of the DROBO, but only thing I don't like is the price tag. $500 is alot for a box that only has the "features" it has and comes with no drives whatsoever. The fact that I would have to buy drives at the same time as the DROBO is what has turned me off from it.

They also have another device now called DroboShare which will allow you to connect it to your network, but even that add-on device is another $200. Nice product, but just too pricey in my opinion.

I am currently using a WD MB Pro with 2 TB. Works great for me, and its plugged in via Firewire 800.

:apple:

I just snagged one for $400 shipped. Never been used apparently. What pushed me over the edge to buying it was the fact that I can upgrade continually as my storage requirements grow without having to buy all new equipment. So for me, I guess that will save money in the long-run.

ccortez

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2008
LaCie Ethernet Big Disk 1TB

Works great

NitoTV can even mount_afp to it.

I stream DVD (and other) content directly to the (hacked) ATV from there w/o a hiccup. I stream my iTunes library from my iMac to the ATV, and the iMac stores all music on the LaCie. That works perfectly too.

I have two coworkers using the same setup, so I have some confidence that the LaCie is a good choice in this configuration.

Mac In School

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2007
500 GB Seagate Freeagent, plugged into the USB port on my Airport Basestation Extreme. I also back up to a 160 GB WD Passport when I make changes to my media files.

theronster

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2007
3 500GB Western Digital MyBooks daisy-chained together via Firewire, which for me is the main reason to go for FW over USB - i know that I'll be able to continually add drives onto the chain, but still only using one FW port.

jbellanca

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2007
Im puzzled by the question. ATV doesnt support external discs. Do you mean external disc (on your MAC) for iTunes media?

I'm using a 1TB Western Digital My Book... got it for $210 shipped. Thinking of maybe getting another as a backup.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.