which external hard drive??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by gemio17, Dec 15, 2003.

1. gemio17 macrumors regular

I'm looking to buy an 80gb or higher external hard drive to back up my 12" pb for about/under 150$. Has anyone used any hd's that worked well in this price range?? I'll mostly be storing pics (tiffs) and my music on it. Any suggestions on where to buy?? Thanks.

2. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

If you are comfortable enough installing harddrives in a system, I would recommend that you build your own. You can get a FireWire case for $50 or, and a 120GB drive or 80GB in your case for less than a $100. With Mail-in-Rebates you can even get a cheaper HD. You put the IDE drive in the FW case and you are set.

3. sparky76 macrumors regular

I have a LaCie 160GB Firewire HDD and cannot recommend it highly enough. Might be a bit pricey, though.
    The Apple Store seems to have sorted out its supply problems, so might be worth trying.

4. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    i'd go with ishater, i've built 3 enclosures already, it's really easy, all you have to do is follow the directions, and you can pick your own HD. For me, it's easier for warranty service in case the drive fails.

i picked up an enclosure somewhere (i forget) online for about $45, and a western digital 120 for $80 after rebates, took me about 10 to plug the cable to the HD, power cable, and then the hardest part was the case, which used some plastic strip to lock everything together. my gf was up and running in a short amount of time (after the driver installs, and formatting to PC), backing up her notebook.

5. gemio17 thread starter macrumors regular

I found the QPS Que! M3 ultra slim hard drive -Has anyone used this product??

6. Robertk2012 macrumors regular

Check out staples. www.staples.com I got a 80 gb maxtor 7200 firewire drive for $80. ;)