Which External HD Will Boot Tiger?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by vjmacaddict, Jul 29, 2005.

1. vjmacaddict macrumors member

vjmacaddict

I would like to buy an external harddrive for my G4 iBook that will boot with Tiger installed on the external HD. Is that possible? If so, any suggestions which HD to buy? I'd like at least 160GB on the external HD. My internal 60GB HD is nearly full in just one year of use.

2. Over Achiever macrumors 68000

Over Achiever

I believe any external HD will boot tiger, even the iPods.

Just start up your computer with the install disk, and when it gets time to choose the HD, choose your external. I believe it may erase your external HD as part of the install process, but I'm not sure.

3. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Almost any external HD will boot. There are a few out there that work fine in disk mode, but aren't bootable. I don't know any specific ones off hand, but I do know they exist.

4. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

Best bet is to stick with FireWire external HD's.

5. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

Considering that's the only one OF will boot from. I was hoping that Apple would open up USB2 to use OF booting. (I only have an IDE-USB adapter)

6. virus1 macrumors 65816

virus1

this is the best hd around: it does boot tiger, is cheap, fast, small, firewire, huge capacity, good brand, looks nice.. hit me...

ipods do not install tiger.. the only way ive heard of it being done is somone copying thier internal hd contents over to it. an ipod is also unpractical because of how slow it is... your computer would really suffer.