Which Eye TV is right for me?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Jopling, Jan 31, 2006.

1. Jopling macrumors 6502

I am just about to purchase the 23 inch cimea display and logitechs best surround sound system. Currently my cable offers a few HD channels through digital cable which requires an extrabox. I probably would only be at this house with this configuration until August. Then i will move to DC and just have standard cable. Which EyeTV should I get that will support HD and just normal cable?

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

3. BlairOR macrumors newbie

good question. I have been looking around the authorized resellers pages for every and no one seems to have it.

4. rickvanr macrumors 68040

rickvanr

As to the original question... They EyeTV 200. No HD, but your post didn't really stress you needed HD, EyeTV 500 will do HD, but not standard cable, so I'd go with the EyeTV 200.

5. Jopling thread starter macrumors 6502

Man, I'd like to have HD considering I get some HD channels and have an HD display, but I will probably have standard cable for a little bit in DC.

6. rickvanr macrumors 68040

rickvanr

Well, you're SOL then I think.

7. BlairOR macrumors newbie

not if you get something with over the air capabilites.

8. macbaseball macrumors 6502a

macbaseball

I'm not sure if you're are clear on two things. I know I wasn't. First of all, the only channels that you canget though the EyeTV 500 are unencypted broadcast channels. This means that you can only receive ABC, Fox, NBC, and CBS in high defintion, along with a few others. For me, this is perfect, because the majority of the programs that I want to record are one these channels. You can either receive them OTA, or Clear QAM, meaning that you have a low end cable package, and you will not have to pay extra for the HD channels, becuase they come free over the airways.

Also, in regards to getting the EyeTV 200, having all the channels sounds great, until you get around to watching them. Because it's standard defintion, the channels come in at 640x480, so in order to cover the 23 inch display they have to be enlarged, and there will be black bars, because it has a 4:3 aspect ratio. For me, the choice was difficult, but I'm glad that I got the EyeTV 500, as I would have been disappointed with the quality of the image on my 20 inch display.

Note: The lack of quality with the EyeTV 200 is in no way Elgato's fault. I just wanted to make that clear.

9. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

As it turns out, you can order from Miglia directly, and, if you enter a US address upon checkout, no VAT and the price is US$249, with free shipping.

10. iHateGates macrumors member

eyetv corduo compliant

I'd love to pick up one of these when I eventually upgrade my G3 to a new iMac core duo. Anyone know if it will have to be run through rosetta?

11. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

Right now it has to be Rosetta, but they are working on it. I think it might take them a while longer though. They originally thought June intel Macs, so maybe that was their target all along. I say that because I had wrote them in October saying "you know there will be intel macs almost certainly at MacWorld," and they just told me they thought that was too early. ha-ha. :)

To the point, EyeTV software with my EyeTV 200 works perfectly fine in Rosetta. I think it handles it better than my Powerbook. Some of the exporting and what not that requires encoding might be slow though.

However, if you have Toast, you can easily take the MPEG2 right into Toast and burn a DVD, with no encoding.