Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MichaelAudet

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 15, 2016
Rhode Island
I have just picked up Two raid arrays (A1009) both 2005 units with 14 500 Gig drives. I have two late 2006 3.0 Ghz xeon Xserves with 16 gigs of ram each. What Fibre channel card would have originally came in or as an option for my 3.0 Ghz units? What are my options if I can't find OEM or the original cards? What is your cable recommendation? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Also, Does anyone have a part number or a reference to purchase the front two mounting screws for these raid units? Maybe a Place you have purchased a complete mounting kit? its really bothering me that I do not have the front mounting bolts.

FB_IMG_1463870857421.jpg

zebity

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2008
Australia
Hi MAudet,

I have just picked up Two raid arrays (A1009) both 2005 units with 14 500 Gig drives. I have two late 2006 3.0 Ghz xeon Xserves with 16 gigs of ram each. What Fibre channel card would have originally came in or as an option for my 3.0 Ghz units? What are my options if I can't find OEM or the original cards? What is your cable recommendation? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Also, Does anyone have a part number or a reference to purchase the front two mounting screws for these raid units? Maybe a Place you have purchased a complete mounting kit? its really bothering me that I do not have the front mounting bolts.

View attachment 632368

These old Xserve disk arrays are well and truely obsolete, you would be better off with old Promise VTrak... (x10 Series), which are available for a few hundred $$ on eBay.

Any how you should be able to connect them with Apple / LSI PCIe Fibre Channel Card (2GB/sec or newer 4GB/Sec) as Fibre Channel is backwards compatible.

See here for specs: https://support.apple.com/kb/SP21?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

and here for Fibre Channel car compatibility details: https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT201631

Suggest Dual 4GB/sec Apple / LSI provides cheap and flexible option.

Cheers,

Zebity.

MichaelAudet

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 15, 2016
Rhode Island
Hi MAudet.

These old Xserve disk arrays are well and truely obsolete, you would be better off with old Promise VTrak... (x10 Series), which are available for a few hundred $$ on eBay.

Any how you should be able to connect them with Apple / LSI PCIe Fibre Channel Card (2GB/sec or newer 4GB/Sec) as Fibre Channel is backwards compatible.

See here for specs: https://support.apple.com/kb/SP21?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

and here for Fibre Channel car compatibility details: https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT201631

Suggest Dual 4GB/sec Apple / LSI provides cheap and flexible option.

Cheers,

Zebity.

Everything I own is obsolete, I want a functioning xserve and xraid system. This is for my home to boot

Reactions: ratsg

zebity

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2008
Australia
Hi Michael,

Everything I own is obsolete, I want a functioning xserve and xraid system. This is for my home to boot

As owner of various obsolete computers (some old Macs, an SGI box & Early 2009 Xserve) i understand, just suggestion as I was under the impression that Xserve RAID units has ATA (PATA) disk in them, while Promise Ex10 Vtrak units have SATA / SAS support and so makes better option for connecting up Fibre Channel and having variety of cheap disk options available.

BTW the "Apple" OEM Promise array's have disk size limit across SATA / SAS while original Promise branded ones only have SATA (3TB limit). They are distinguishable by the rack handles, the Apple ones have flat silver plastic designer and rather useless handles the Promise ones have black pull handles and so can be flashed with later firmware.

You cannot Flash Apple Promise Ex10 Vtrak units with original Firmware as it recognises the incompatibility and refuses to boot...

Anyhow enough off topic tips ;-)

Cheers,

Zebity.

Reactions: ratsg

hobowankenobi

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2015
on the land line mr. smith.
I have some old Apple Xserve parts that were going to eBay. Yell if you want a crack at em before they go up.

Brand new - FC cables
Used - Spare Drive trays with 500GB drives
Used - FC card

Will have to get details off the card if you want it.

MichaelAudet

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 15, 2016
Rhode Island
I have some old Apple Xserve parts that were going to eBay. Yell if you want a crack at em before they go up.

Brand new - FC cables
Used - Spare Drive trays with 500GB drives
Used - FC card

Will have to get details off the card if you want it.

sorry for the late reply I have been dormant for a few days. id be interested in a few things. email me and we can talk.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.