Which filesystem options to use for Tiger?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by After G, May 18, 2005.

1. After G macrumors 68000

After G

I just got myself a new external drive, so I am planning to back up my current setup and reinstall Tiger (due to curl not working).

I noticed in Disk Utility the new filesystem options: case-sensitive and case-sensitive + journaled. Is there a reason that i would want to choose case-sensitivity? How would it affect drive performance?

Thanks in advance for the replies.

2. wrc fan macrumors 65816

wrc fan

In a world where LPs are made like pancakes
    it will make it similar to a normal unix filesystem in that the files "example" and "EXAMPLE" are different files, while in Mac OS X by default they are the same. I don't think it will affect drive performance at all.

3. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Unless you have a specific reason to do otherwise, you should use the default (Extended Journalised or something).

4. Makosuke macrumors 603

Case-sensitive HFS basically falls into the category of "if you don't know why you'd need it, you don't need it".

The only reason to use the case sensitive version is if you use specific UNIX programs that require a case-sensitive filesystem to run properly. Otherwise, it will do you absolutely no good.

In fact, it can cause problems with poorly-coded apps (or even arguably not-so-poorly coded ones with a Mac history behind them--Adobe CS2, for example, won't run on it). This is probably why Apple doesn't recommend it for your boot disk, though it will work.