which firewire from PB to MBP

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by littlekenneth, Mar 19, 2006.

1. littlekenneth macrumors member

Hi, i am trying to transfer file from my PB 12" to my new MBP, I wondered if i should get the 4-pins to 4 pins firewire cable or 6 pins to 6 pins? Also, any advice or shortcut to transfer everything from the PB to the MBP? Thanks

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

6 pin.

As for the rest, you'll have to wait a little while for others who know more to reply. But definitely use the 6 pin plug, neither the PB nor the MBP have 4 pin sockets.

3. ncook06 macrumors regular

4. macOSX-tastic macrumors 6502a

macOSX-tastic

plus, the macbook only has the 6 pin firewire connector......and you will have to buy adapters for the 4 pin.

you could try migration assistant.....i have no idea how it works, but by the name i expect it helps smooth the process. it's in the utilites folder of your apps folder, FYI.

S

5. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

6 Pin to 6Pin =400MBps.. 6Pin to 9 Pin = 400MBps... 9Pin to 9Pin =800MBps

4 Pin is usually on dv cameras and it runs @ 400MBps

the speeds are ideal speeds but you'll get like 80% to 95% of the projected speed in the real life tests ..<<IIRC .. if i'm wrong on the projected speeds pls someone correct me :eek: :eek:

6. munckee macrumors 65816

I didn't like the way the migration assistant organized my stuff. I found it easier just to load my old computer in target disc mode (hold down "T" upon restart) and then moving the info over "by hand".

7. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Nope, your data speeds aren't quite correct (Mbps instead of MBps) but there's a little more to it.

4 pin = Data 400Mbps. (Firewire 400)
    6 pin = Data 400Mbps + power. (Firewire 400)
    6 pin to 9 pin = Data 400Mbps + power. (Firewire 800 -> Firewire 400)
    9 pin = Data 800Mbps + power. (Firewire 800)