Which FireWire Hard Drive?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by jrober, Nov 14, 2003.

1. jrober macrumors regular

Jan 22, 2003
    Heathfield, UK
    Good afternoon all,

I need to buy an external fire wire hard drive for my ageing i-mac (Blue Dalmatian). Expensive children have postponed any new coolness.

Which maker should I go with I need around 80Gb for I Movie editing + backup space.

I was considering Lacie D2 drives, but I want to ensure I get something reliable.

Thanks in advance
  2. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
  3. crap freakboy macrumors 6502a

crap freakboy

Jul 17, 2002
    nar in Gainsborough, me duck
    Have a Lacie D2 120GB myself, works fine with Panther, streaming dv, playing first person shooters such as Quake 3 and UT...its fast and good value for the dosh.
    Don't know who your apple reseller is in Brighton, but if at all possible I'd avoid AppleStore UK due the sad state of late delivery as of late.
    I know of 4 mac users who have Lacies with no problems so far...either way 1 year warranty in UK.
  4. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    Our local Apple Store at Chestnut Hill sells and reccomends the Lacie. The exterior compliments the G5 metal look very well. So yes if I had a G5 think that would be the one for me.