which firewire webcam for ichat?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Creative, Jul 5, 2004.

1. Creative macrumors newbie

hello!
    i need to buy a webcam for my ibook to use in ichat asap to chat to my mate in texas. (im in uk).

Now, i know you can use a usb webcam with ichat as that is what i used to use with it before, but i wanted to buy a firewire webcam. what are the main differences between the usb's and the firewire ones? im persuming the data tranfer is alot better with the firewire, thus better video and audio.

do most webcams come with a firewire connection now, or do i have to look for a specific one?

i was gunna get the isight but its too pricey for me at the moment so i was going to go for a cheap alternative! any suggestions?

also, im in the uk - so if any of you know any firewire webcams avaliable here with a rough uk price then that would be so great! Im using OSX 10.3.4 on a g3 700mhz ibook.

Peace,
    Creative.

2. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

The "norm" for webcams is still USB, so yes, you do need to look specifically for a Firewire webcam. However, I still think the iSight will be the best cam and possibly the cheapest since you might have a limited selection of cams in the UK. The iSight provides the best picture and audio of any Firewire cam i have ever seen. Most Firewire webcams dont even include microphones, so that gives the iSight a distinct advantage. The quality of the parts used for the iSight are also quite good, including a glass lens, unlike plastic ones that are usually used in cheaper webcams.

3. intrepkid21 macrumors regular

I agree, the isight is really by far your best bet..just save a little longer..

4. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

ChrisFromCanada

I know you probably don't have one but you can use a firewire DV camera.

5. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Agreed about iSight build and audio quality, but iChat insists on making it seem very dark. The camera itself is great - use something like EvoCam and you can see that it doesn't need all that light. But iChat wants to work with it only in a bright room. Over a year ago, I got a unibrain Fire-i (before the iSight). Its sole advantage over the iSight was that it required less light during iChat. Also, as mentioned, DV videocams work well.

6. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

There is nothing currently out there that matches the quality and ease of use of the iChat - at its price range. Save up a little - it is definitely worth it!! :D

7. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

iSight, right?

8. markjones05 macrumors 6502a

markjones05

9. jimsowden macrumors 68000

jimsowden

I use my GL2, just though I would mention that.

10. jackieonasses macrumors 6502a

jackieonasses

i would be proud of that camera if i owned it too!

11. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Be aware, as I had to find out the hard way, if you have a G3 Mac, using a DV camera will NOT work with iChat. If you have a G4, disregard this post.

12. Creative thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks guys...(and gals!)

thankyou all for your advice and quick responses.
    i think i will go for the isight! i cant afford it yet but hell, i need it and what are credit-cards for eh?!

thanks again,
    Creative.