Which format for the web?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by MattG, Dec 13, 2006.

1. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

I've got some videos that I produced that we want to use on our web site. Rather, we are using them on our website, but I've got people complaining to me because they need to download QT7 before they can view them.

Does anyone have some advice on what format I should be exporting to for easy, quick viewing on the web, and what program I should be using to do it? I'd like to use something that most people already have, and if they don't, the download procedure is quick and painless. Is there such a thing?

2. Artofilm macrumors 6502a

Artofilm

Use flash.
    Flash is very quick, you can build your own personalized video controllers, and it runs on more computers than any other video compression.
    Quicktime requires for you to have the program Quicktime on your machine somewhere.
    WMV can run on almost all Windows users, but some Mac ppl can't.

Flash runs integrated on your website.
    Flash can run under downloadable flash video players, or it can run on almost any browser program (flash is built in)

I ran into this issue the other week for a commercial i had to present to someone for online use. After studying the choices, Flash makes the most sense to me.

3. evil_santa macrumors 6502a

evil_santa

+1 for Flash, i use the on2 encoder http://www.on2.com/
    if you want a format that most computers play, use mpeg 1, is old and clunky, but I have had few complaints from people not being able to play it back from any platform.

4. ChrisA macrumors G4

Use multiple links, let users click on the one they like. Remember there are still many people using dial-up service, give them a low-res version

5. MattG thread starter macrumors 68040

MattG

That looks great...will have to check that out.