Which FTP should I use (also need to edit HTML files)

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by Gherkin, Jul 2, 2004.

1. Gherkin macrumors 6502

I need an FTP client (preferably free) which I can use to easy upload files to my website. I also edit the html files myself, and need something that can do that. Is there a program which possibly integrates these two aspects?

2. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

You can find both, maybe even in the same app, by searching on versiontracker.com.

Personally I like Dreamweaver, but you said free... so versiontracker it is.

3. Gherkin thread starter macrumors 6502

Well I downloaded Transmit and it works wonderfully. Very, very pleased. I'll get my work down probably twice as fast as how I was doing FTP on Windows.

How long until they make me pay for it though?

4. King Cobra macrumors 603

RBrowserLite is a fairly solid - and very stable - FTP client. But you can't edit HTML with it. As for HTML coding/testing, try Taco HTML Edit. Now I haven't needed to try it, so I'm not sure what your experience with it will be like.

5. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

6. mms macrumors 6502a

I think Transmit is 15 days. You could use it without limitations further by deleting prefs after those days but it's a great program so I don't see why you wouldn't pay for it. As for writing html, SubEthaEdit is a great little text editor, even though it doesn't have ftp built-in. It touts collaborative editing over Rendezvous as a big feature, which is always a nice plus, but also has syntax highlighting and real-time web preview using WebKit which is great for html.

http://www.codingmonkeys.de/subethaedit

7. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

When designing a site, I use Transmit and Taco Edit for all my coding and FTP needs. Those two programs work great.

Transmit stops working in 20 days IIRC. But deleting your prefs resets that.

(Yes I am a cheap bastard, so sue me)

EDIT: 20,15, what's the difference? Teaches me to refresh the page after 2 hours of absence before hitting reply :p

8. mms macrumors 6502a

Of course, if you can learn how to use it, command line ftp is always a choice, not to mention that it's built-in. Works fine for most of my needs. And for some of the simpler html I write in vim with syntax highlighting.

9. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I don't even bother with VersionTracker or other Mac software sites. I just use command-line FTP for FTP access, and TextEdit for HTML/JS/CSS editing.