which G4 is which?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Ipyro24, Dec 1, 2003.

1. Ipyro24 macrumors member

I bought a G4 and the instructions don't tell which one it is (ex, Sawtooth, quicksilve) my G4 is the graphite one it has a 400 MHz 100 MHz system bus AGP graphics Auido in port ( i don't know if its the saw tooth or gigabit ethernet or digital auido) how do i know if my machiene has a gigabit ethernet (the instruuctions wern't clear)

thanks,
    Karl

2. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Re: which G4 is which?

There are ways of telling but the easiest is the Yikes came with a short keyboard with no 10key and the Sawtooth came with a 10key.

Information all all Apple computers can be found at.

www.everymac.com

3. Judo macrumors regular

Correct me if I'm wrong someone but that there's a sawtooth.

4. Judo macrumors regular

If you look on the back by the serial # it has a little blurb about the computers components (eg. 400mhz/128MB/CD/15G ) if you had gigabit ethernet it will say something like GigEthernet by that serial number, or you could use the system profiler.

5. amnesiac1984 macrumors 6502a

these names you speak won't appear in the instructions because they are not the offical apple names. Apple has called evey powermac G4 since it was invented the PowerMac G4. Some of these names like sawtooth and yikes are the engineers codenames for htem wheras others liek MDD/GigEthernet/Digital Audio are just names people came up with on boards like this!

You have a sawtooth, 400mhz was the first batch of G4's but agp means it is not a yikes.

6. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

agreed ... mine is 400 AGP ... and it's SawTooth ... Yikes had PCI graphics did it not?

there was something about the way the ports on the back are set up makes it easy to ID ... run a search in google ...

7. benixau macrumors 65816

benixau

Actually most names are apple sanctioned at least. Just check their KBase. Thge MDD, FW800 Yosemite are all "offiicial" names.

8. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

the yikes G4 was identical to a blue and white G3 rev. 2 exept that it had a G4 cpu rather than a G3 and a gray case rather than a blue. the logic board, graphics slot (66MHz PCI) and everything but the cpu were identical. if your system has agp graphics and is a 400 then it is 100% a sawtooth.

9. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

forgot to mention that the sawtooth is a good one to buy because you can get 1.4GHz G4 upgrades for them at around $500

10. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

11. ebow macrumors 6502a

ebow

Re: Re: which G4 is which?

10key? What the blarg's a 10key? The numeric pad? All Macs keyboards have had one for years... :confused:

Gotta agree about EveryMac.com, though--great resource.

12. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

You could just look on the back of the machine for a model number like this: M8359LL/A. Then, go to the Apple support site, enter it, and search for the manual to get all the details.

13. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Re: Re: Re: which G4 is which?

A 10key is the number pad to the right of the normal alphabetic keyboard. It contains 0-9 in that order from bottom.

The B/W G3s and Yikes PowerMacs did not have one on the keyboard. They had the same keyboard as the iMacs had which was basically a Powerbook layout.

I had remember that the Yikes didn't have AGP as well but the Everymac.com website included AGP with both Yikes and Sawtooth. Guess someone should notify them of the error.

14. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

Download Mactracker from download.com. Unfortunately the maker of the program has stopped updating it, but it has a lot of info about macs and mac pheriphals. Including the codenames and startup chimes of macs in that database! You can easily compare machines with it!

15. Toeknee macrumors regular

Toeknee

Dang Dreadnought you beat me to the post! Yeah its a shame that they stopped updating MacTracker its such a cool app.

16. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Actually MacTracker is still being updated. There was an update as of November 1st to add the iBook G4s the new eMacs and to fix some bugs.

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/10816

17. ebow macrumors 6502a

ebow

Re: Re: Re: Re: which G4 is which?

Not trying to be rude or beligerent, just checking that we're talking about the same thing... Are you talking about the keyboard shown at the top of this image ?

What's missing are full-sized keys for the inverted-T arrow keys and Insert, Home, etc... Waaaaaay back in the Quadra/LC days, those keyboards may not have had number pads (I forget).

18. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: which G4 is which?

Dang, I lived with the thing everyday for 3 years and I forgot that it wasn't the keypad it was missing. Silly me, my mistake I admit it.:rolleyes:

19. ebow macrumors 6502a

ebow

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: which G4 is which?

:D You're probably just repressing the experience... Although I always loved the tactile response I got from those keyboards--my fingers could fly (fairly accurately) over them, better than pretty much any other keyboard I've used.

20. Ipyro24 thread starter macrumors member

thankyou every one for your help and now i know that what i have is a sawtooth, so is it fairly upgradeable and what processor upgrade chip brand is better. thanks again

21. Ipyro24 thread starter macrumors member

i just reed that the sawtooth dosn't have the 20somethin volt thingy for a monitor. but my monitor plugs into the computer with out a powercord jsut the vido card i cheaked system profiler and its 400 mhz and it has agp graphics so i don't know if its sawtooth

22. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

You definitely have a Sawtooth. I'm not sure what you are talking about when you refer to the 20volt thingy.

23. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: which G4 is which?

I liked that keyboard too even more then the current pro keyboard. Though I found it hard to live without the full extended keyboard. My favorite keyboard was the one that came with my Peforma 600. It was built like a tank but handled like a dream. I used it with 3 other computers over 7 years.