Which G5 iMac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Washco, Nov 30, 2004.

1. Washco macrumors newbie

Apr 30, 2004
    Is the 1.8 17" that much of a better deal than the 1.6? I have a superdrive in my G4 15" 800 and with the $200 saving, I can get a 512 mb memory stick and an airport extreme card and the bluetooth module/keyboard/mouse setup.

I can live with not having the bluetooth setup but would have to save up for the memory and AE card later. My plan is to get a wireless network going for the new mac and my current g4. Has anyone just used a mac as a wireless base station without the airport base stations? Does it work well?

Anyway, thoughts?

iMac g4 800 15" 512ram 60gig hd
    3g 15 gig iPod
    PowerMac 8600 128ram 4gig hd
  2. StarbucksSam macrumors 65816

Nov 21, 2004
    Washington, D.C.
    I can't solve your wireless question.. it's the math that you'd have to do knowing what you want... but I can put this in..

My mother has an iMac G5/1.6 and it works very nicely. Nothing slow about it. Of course, it will be totally dated in two years, but 200 mhz won't stop that.
  3. sigamy macrumors 65816

Mar 7, 2003
    NJ USA
    Apple's special deals page has had all 3 iMacs as refurbs with $200 off. Get one of those and you can move up to the 1.8ghz.
  4. iShater macrumors 604

Aug 13, 2002
    I remember connecting my iBook to a friend's PowerBook using airport without a router or basestation. It was S-L-O-W. Barely usable slow.

Now, i was using Airport, he was in AE, so not sure if that contributed.

Get a router/basestation.

my 2c
  5. Converted2Truth macrumors 6502a

Feb 6, 2004
    One of your Mac's can have a hardline to the internet, then in the sharing preferences, you can turn on internet sharing over airport (requires the computer to have a Wi-Fi card), which will allow the other computer to get on the net over airport. Make note that this setup will cut your bandwidth in half. 54mbps to 27mbps. most people don't have an internet connection fast enough to care about that though. heck, my internet is only 1.5mbps. However, you will notice slower data transfer rates when transfering data(coping files from computer to computer). Getting a base station would help in that respect. Hope this helps.
  6. maya macrumors 68040

Oct 7, 2004
    somewhere between here and there.
    Word of Advice:

Stay away from the middle iMac G5 model That is right do not buy the 1.8Ghz iMac G5 17" LCD. The other two are fine.

Reasons for the middle model is noise issues, if you look at all or most of the complaints its the middle model that has the most problems. I wish someone told me about this before. :p
  7. Washco thread starter macrumors newbie

Apr 30, 2004
    Well, I did get the 'middle model' the 1.8 17". It is fine and so much faster than my g4 iMac 800. Sadly, using the g5 as a software base station is a no go. It is barely doable in the same room but as soon as I move the g4 down the hall 15 feet, it loses the signal. So, I'll have to get an airport extreme base station. Otherwise, the g5 is awsome! Setup was a dream, just connect the 2 together via firewire cable and all my programs and settings and files transfered right over without a hitch. Gotta love it!!!