Which G5 to buy

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Hungarianguy, Jan 3, 2005.

1. Hungarianguy macrumors member

I'm thinking of buying a G5 what do you guys recommend? This is for my wife. I think we were thinking of the 1299 iMac g5 (17"). I was also maybe thinking for the 20" imag g5.

thanks,
    dan

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

You want help on what to buy, but give no information on what you want it for/what you will use it for.

How in the world do you expect anyone to advise you when they are given nothing to work with!?! :rolleyes:

3. Hungarianguy thread starter macrumors member

my wife wants to do internet on it. i want to play doom 3 with it and maybe use virtual pc on it.

4. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Obvioulsy either will be fine for email/surfing/iTunes blah blah. But...LOL, Doom 3. *beep* Not gonna happen. All iMac G5's have an FX5200, which is a piece of s***. As for VPC, it runs like crap no matter what you put it on.

5. Mertzen macrumors 6502

Mertzen

yah .. that blasted FX5200 ..

You could look into a powermac and BTO the GPU to the 9600 .. it will cost you more .. but the machine will last you longer ..

6. mslifkin macrumors regular

mslifkin

That is correct, sir!

Yes, VPC is just like any other Microsoft product. If you want to to run faster, you have to throw it harder! Happy New Year. By the way, that video you posted was great! Thanks.

Regards,
    Marc

7. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Doom 3 won't play, but VPC will probably work just fine as long as you (a) avoid games, and (b) use Win2K instead of WinXP if at all possible.

Obviously, if you're big into games, you won't be happy with any Mac compared to any $1000 PC, but I think you'll find that, aside from games, the Mac is a better overall value, and I'm certain that your wife will truly appreciate the clean lines of the iMac.

If you're ordering online, I recommend getting Bluetooth built-in as part of the $100 BT/keyboard/mouse deal. Then it'll look even cleaner - no wires in front.

8. Sir_Giggles macrumors 6502a

Sir_Giggles

Get 2 computers. An eMac or headless Mac for her. A PC for your DOOM 3 games.(at least PC configured with whatever video card you can afford.)

9. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

If you haven't been keeping up with the rumor mill:

The "headless Mac" is a $500 Mac rumored to be announced on 1/11/2005 at MacWorld San Francisco, supposedly with a 1.25GHz G5 chip, 256MB RAM, 40-80GB drive, and no monitor. Again, it's just a rumor, but seems very believable, and we'll know in about a week.

10. Hungarianguy thread starter macrumors member

how is the g5 1.6 17" for making home movies?

11. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Quite fine. I've made home movies on my 800MHz G4 iMac (from 2002). I'm guessing a 1.6GHz G5 would do OK as well. :)