1. weezer_mouth macrumors newbie

Feb 25, 2004
    Spur of the moment, yesterday,
    I sold my G4, she wanted it today.

So now I'm computerless which isn't
    going to cut it for long. I'm reading all these posts about waiting and what's coming out and rumors and I'm freaking out!

I'm looking at a getting a

Power Mac G5 1600 Minitower
    PowerPC G5 1.6GHz Processor, 256MB RAM, 80GB Hard Drive, 4X DVD-R / 16X10X32 CD-RW SuperDrive

I'll be using the computer for graphic design/web design (adobe,macromedia).
    And also I've just started to get involved in music recording and composing.

My husband is also getting into Video
    and we'll eventually buy FinalCut.

Is it worth the extra money to go to the
    1.8Ghz Processor?
    They're installing more Ram when I buy the computer, so how much should I get?

Since I'm already spending so much money, should I just go all out? Or do you think I really NEED the power that
    would come with a bigger or Dual Processor? Would I be just as happy with the 1.6 single?

Thanks so much for any suggestions.

2. applemacdude macrumors 68040

Mar 26, 2001
    Over The Rainbow
  3. ionas macrumors regular

Dec 31, 2003
    Old Europe
    1600 not worth it imho

i would buy a 1800 or 2000
    it doesnt matter which one u buy (which one of both) because the 2000 one costs that amount more that it gives you performance.

so its just about your money in your pocket.
  4. floatingspirit macrumors 6502

Oct 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I just bought nearly an identical system to what you listed. After waiting for updated PowerBooks and then updated PowerMacs, I gave in and made the purchase cuz I really needed to be using now. No matter what comes out, I'm sure I'll have no regrets as this set up works so well. My experience so far is like this:

I've got over a 1000 pics in iPhoto and songs in iTunes and work with 100 page documents in Classic mode and OS X. I use all of those simultaneously plus other stuff and I've seen the spinning rainbow ball only twice so far!

I thought I'd need 1Gig of memory, but the computer is so fast, the 512 I got seems to be plenty (for me). I'm quite surprised (I had 640MB in my iBook). You can always add memory yourself later, at half the cost Apple would charge you.

In conclusion, if you have the money, sure spend it. However, if you want to try to be a little conservative financially, you might do just fine with the 1.6.

Enjoy and to heck with the waiting!!!!!:p
  5. floatingspirit macrumors 6502

Oct 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    forgot to mention

My one and only disappointment has been the hard drive!! It's advertised as 80Gigs, but actually at least 8 of that is non-existent from the start. I don't know how comp. manufactures can legally advertise like that. I would've doubled the hard drive capacity to give myself a comfort factor, which now, however mildly, I lack (though I could always add another drive later:p)
  6. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    While the 1600 & the 1800 would seem like similar machine -- they are not.

The SP 1800 has 8 DIMM slots (vs 4DIMMs in the 1.6GHz) and PCI-X (vs 3.3 V PCI in the 1.6GHz)

While you might not see a use for PCI-X, you'll probably make use of the extra 2 pair memory slots in the SP 1.8 machine.

1 memory upgrade on the SP 1.6 and you'll be tossing 2 DIMM every time you boost the memory after that.

Having 4 pairs of DIMMs in the machine IS worth $200, those are DIMMs your not going to be tossing in a drawer next time you upgrade.
  7. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Jan 15, 2003
    Sun Baked--

That is a very good point--I had no idea. I'm not in the market for a PM, but knowing those differences exist more than justify the cost difference.

Waiting on the next PB update--whatever it is....
  8. Maclarny macrumors 6502

Apr 20, 2003
    Re: forgot to mention

Computer manufacturers have been doing this for a long time. A gigabyte is 1024 megabytes. The computer reads the harddrive this way. Hard drive manufactuers seel their products as 1 gigabyte equall 1000 megabytes. As it adds up this can cause a rather large difference. Also Mac OSX, itself, is about 3-5 gigabytes.
  9. Megaquad macrumors 6502a

Jul 12, 2001
    I think its data lost in formating, HD really is 80 GB but those 8 gigs hold system databases or something.
  10. cubist macrumors 68020

Jul 4, 2002
    Muncie, Indiana
    OTOH, the refurb 1.6 is only $1399. That's $500 cheaper...
  11. Crikey macrumors 6502

Jan 14, 2004
    Spencer's Butte, Oregon
    For Web design and other typical office-computing tasks, a single 1.6 CPU would be fine. For music composition and recording, in my limited experience the faster a system you have, the better, and the same goes for video editing. So for me, I'd get either the single 1.8GHz or better yet the dual 1.8GHz machine.

Too bad about the timing, with all the rumors about "March 27" (or March 31, the next Tuesday).

12. MacRAND macrumors 6502a

May 24, 2003
    Phoenix AZ USA
    G5? Go Dual - but which?

Simple - go DUAL chip.
    To be blunt, after buying my first Dual G4 1GHz, I'd never settle for a single CPU configuration Mac, especially when I saw a quantum leap in Dual performance starting with Jaguar, which had not previously existed in 10.1 and before. OSX Panther puts duals to very efficient use, I can really see a significant difference.

G5 1.8 or 2.0? you pick, how much speed do you want or need? The price difference appears fair considering the bump in clock speed and bus, etc.

RAM? Optimum appears to be a minimum of 1.5 GB, but always - "the more the merrier". How big are your largest files? How many applications are you likely to have open at the same time?
    Regardless, don't waste slots. Suggest getting 2x 1GB chips (total 2GB). This isn't even MAX per chip, since the 2GB chips are out now, but expensive. 2x 512MB or less seems almost like a waste of slots. Since you have so many memory slots in a G5 dual (high-enders still feel there should be more than 8) maxing all of them out would be very expensive. In the past, I have Maxed out all my Macs, now it's a new ball game - doing so would cost $8,000. Sort of the Tail wagging the Dog - price wise.

DDR PC3200 • CL=3 • Registered • ECC • 5ns • 2.6V • 256Meg x 72_
    2GB $999.99 (USD)
    1GB $399.99 (USD)
    512MB $89.99

Or, 2 x 2GB = 4GB costs $2,000
    8x 512MB = 4GB costs under $800 but you have filled all your slots, which really may not be a problem for you. Besides, you can always sell your 512 chips on eBay, 2 at a time, which could be fun when 2GB chips start to fall dramatically in price.

You can install them yourself, just carefully follow instructions. Probably buying After Market (once you get your Mac) is more cost effective.
    Enjoy :D

Attached Files:

13. Hackcomic.com macrumors regular

Dec 6, 2003
    Two weeks ago, I gave up and gont the 1.8 G5 from macconnection.com 1.5gig or Ram added - and after rebates the machine cots me $1699. I use it for video editing and have yet to have a problem. This thing flies and I couldn't be happier. Get the 1.8 over the 1.6- hard drive space is 80 gigs more and the PCIX and extra RAM slots make it well worh it.
  14. weezer_mouth thread starter macrumors newbie

Feb 25, 2004
    Hey, thanks so much for all your suggestions. Yesterday I bought the
    1.8 processor, and already love it after one nights use!

I wish I could afford the dual/ or to even wait for the 'next big thing' but I think i'll be very happy with this computer. ;-)

Thanks again, you're all very helpful!

15. floatingspirit macrumors 6502

Oct 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA