Which gamepad should I buy?

Discussion in 'Games' started by the Falcon, Sep 19, 2005.

1. the Falcon macrumors member

I'm thinking about buying a pair of gamepads for my iBook. Which brand and model should I go for? Apple's own list of gaming devices lists the following products that interest me:
    • Gravis Eliminator AfterShock
    • Logitech Dual Action
    • MacAlly iShock II
    • Nyko Air Flo Ex
    Any of these would you recommend or not and why?
    I've also heard of using a PS2 controller through an adaptor. Is that any good or any better?
    Are there any other products out there that I've missed?
    Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. Church macrumors regular

Church

I would choose the Macally iShock because it's the only gamepad that has fully programmable buttons in OSX, as far as I know. And when I say that, I mean it has a compatible cd or whatever that lets you program the buttons in system preferences etc. Sure there is USB overdrive and all that other junk, but it's not any good or fast. I would think that Macally, since they specialize in Mac products, would have a good set of software to go with their hardware. (BTW: I have the logitech dual action, it's pretty nice, but since I can't program the buttons, I haven't really been able to try it out)

3. the Falcon thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the tip! :) That's good to know about the programmable buttons issue. I do think the iShock doesn't look very attractive, though. :p

I've read of people repeatedly losing calibration on the left analog stick of the Dual Action gamepad. Did you have those problems, too, or do you know whether Logitech has fixed this issue?

Does anyone else have any takes on this? The more, the merrier! :D

4. Poff macrumors 65816

Poff

I'd get a Gamecube controller together with this:
    [​IMG]

Then I'd download GamePad Companion, and it would work like a charm.

Of course, one could go flat out crazy and use this:
    [​IMG]

or this:
    [​IMG]

instead of this:
    [​IMG]

5. gammamonk macrumors 6502a

gammamonk

I bought a pair of cheap ($12 each) Elecom USB gamepads, and while they work, they totally suck. I think the PS2 controller is the best available, and if I feel the need to play Gish again, I'll look into a converter.

2 Player death-match Gish, especially while drunk, is the most fun you'll have for $20.

6. andy89 macrumors 6502

What ever you do don't get the macally, it sucks.

The force feedback is incompatible with the force feedback in most games,
    so if you want it for that, get a logitech or gravis.

The programable software that comes with the controller is a pain in the arse to set up and use, and as far as I remember it has to be running whilst your playing the game.

+The joysticks seem too loose to me, but thats just my opinion. :cool:

And Macally support sucks, I don't think I will ever buy another one of they're products.

+It killed my imac, there was a bug with there software and 10.3.8 (i think it was that, check they're site). Anyway it eats up your hard disk and makes you re-install your os :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

EDIT: Get the guitar :cool:

7. the Falcon thread starter macrumors member

Actually, that guitar arcade game from Lost In Translation looked even nicer. I think I should just get that one. ;)

8. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

I used to vouch for the iShock because it used to work very well with SNES9X. Ever since SNES9X switched to a different framework for controller input, it's a different story.

My biggest complaint with the iShock is that when the analogue sticks are at dead centre, they can be as much as +/- 10% on both axes. It's a pain in the ass to play Freespace 2 with a dead zone set to 5 (out of 10) just so that dead centre doesn't make my ship throttle up/pitch up/bank left/yaw right.

9. penter macrumors 6502a

penter

soooooo which one did you get??

i'm really leaning towards the logitech one for my purchase.

10. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I'd second that MacAlly is a bad company with bad products.

I've got a Gravis GamePad Plus or some such and it doesn't work with anything.

I've got a Logitech Cordless Rumblepad and it's not bad but it all depends on whether the game supports it or not.

Check the games to see what they support before buying anything.

11. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

If the gamepad is for emulation, perhaps the Wii's Classic Controller would be an option? That's if anyones worked out how to get it working in OSX...