Which graphics chipset do you think Apple will use in the next MacBook?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Balli, Jun 1, 2006.

What will be the next MacBook's graphics chipset?

1. Stick with the GMA950.

1 vote(s)
  2. Update to the GMA965.

22 vote(s)
  3. Give the MacBook a dedicated graphics chipset. (If so, which one?)

5 vote(s)
  1. Balli macrumors 6502

If it follows Apple's previous iBook update patterns, the next MacBook will be released around November time.

I was just wondering which graphics chipsets do people think Apple will use in their next revision of the MacBook?
  2. miniConvert macrumors 68040

Mar 4, 2006
    Kent, UK - the 'Garden of England'.
    The latest and greatest... integrated chipset from Intel.
  3. Balli thread starter macrumors 6502

Btw, does anyone have a price difference, specifications or power consumption guide, etc. about the new GMA965?
  4. lewion macrumors regular

May 31, 2006
    It would be on par with the price of the current gma950. specs are beautiful... I think it's going to beat the fx6200 of nvidia and the ati x1300 - x600. Without a doubt it is much better than the previous version...

More details have emerged about the graphics core - the latest in the GMA series - Intel intends to integrate into members of its upcoming 965 'Broadwater' chipset family. A presentation slide said to have come from the chip giant shows the part will support not only Shader Model 3.0, but also version 4.0.

The leaked slide comes via Chinese-language site HKEPC. The G965 chipset's integrated GPU will support DirectX 10 via the Windows Graphics Foundation (WGF) 2.0 API. It will also work with OpenGL 2.0. The hardware-accelerated vertex shader capabilities missing from the current GMA950 graphics core and its predecessors will at long last be built into the G965's GPU. It will also do 180° screen rotation support in hardware.
    The GPU will be able to grab up to 256MB of main memory as its frame buffer - double the limit of the current GMA 950 core. It will support 16x anisotropic filtering, up from 4x with the GMA950, and raise the current floating-point precision level from 24 bits to 32.

The G965 will be able to do more video post-processing work than its predecessor can, and while it will enable decoding of H.264 and WMV9/VC-1 HD video, it will still require help from the host processor.

Other tweaks, the slide reveals, include the latest version of Intel's display power-saving technology, improved Z buffer testing, and the addition of occlusion filtering to speed 3D scene rendering.

This is the kind of info you'll get from the best persons who always try to help
  5. coopdig macrumors member

Feb 29, 2004
    So -- any idea when this upgrade might take place in the macbook?

I ask specifically because I'd like to get a macbook before returning to college this fall (early september), but from what I hear it sounds as though this won't find its way into the macbook until sometime after that...

What do you all think?
  6. Balli thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm so hoping that this chipset will be used in the Rev. B iteration of the MacBook.
  7. steelfist macrumors 6502a

Aug 10, 2005
    i'm thinking of geforce go, from 6200 up to 7400. or from ati, x300 or x1300 and x1400.

just to let you know, i dream big. is there anything wrong with that?:)

considering that the graphics card has been recentlly updated to intel integrated, i doubt that a new graphics solution will come. apple has been known to rarely update their notebook's graphics cards.

i however, will look forward to an update to g965 or dedicated, and i hope it's the next macbook revision that will have it.