Which Hard Drive Did You Add To Your Mac Pro?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by kenrobin, Nov 11, 2006.

1. kenrobin macrumors regular

I've got a mac pro and I'm ready to add an internal hard drive primarily to use for video editing and archiving. I've read many comments/opinions about drives but which ones are you guys actually buying and installing in your Mac Pros?

2. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

Unless someone posts to convince me otherwise, next week I plan to order a MaxLine Pro 500 for boot disk, along with two MaxLine lll 300GB for RAID0.

This decision was reached after evaluating my needs and reading through a bunch of different forums and reviews.

I plan to use the MaxLine Pro for boot, applications, and longer-term storage of working files. Once I complete a project, I'll off-load it to DVD or external firewire.

The MaXLine lll's will be used for RAID0. I'll store captured footage and temporary files while I work on projects. When the projects are done, I'll erase the drives.

The stock 160 will become my Windows drive.

3. macintouch macrumors regular

I had 2 Samsung 160GB SATA drives from my last machine, so I popped those in there. I know Samsung isn't really the king of hard drives but these are not bad drives at all and are fine for just music and multimedia storage.

4. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

I have 3 Seagate 500Gb drives and a 160gb Seagate drive

5. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

I've got a 150GB Western Digital Raptor, 2 x 500GB Western Digital 5000KS and a 250GB Western Digital.

I love the Raptor drive, immensely fast.

6. wsgroves macrumors member

1x 250gig WD for mac drive, 1x 74 gig raptor for mac storage drive
    1x 250gig WD for win drive, 1x 74 gig raptor for win storage drive

I would highly advise against maxtor hard drives.
    Anyone who has worked in the industry (im in charge of 500 pc's at my workplace) should tell you not to go with maxtor.

7. rob5 macrumors regular

literally just what i have, but my 250GB is the stock seagate.

8. sblasl macrumors 6502a

sblasl

Noise Factor of the Raptor?

What is the bottom line to the increase in noise when you added the Raptor? I've heard different answers, what is your take?

9. rob5 macrumors regular

the raptor on mine is NOT loud at all. it sounds no different than me to the 7200rpm WD drives. it doesnt sound like a jet engine or anything. it's awesome.

10. sblasl macrumors 6502a

sblasl

Just got a Mac Pro 2.66 GHz. It came with two 500GB Seagate ST3500641AS drives.

Will be adding the Raptor if I can be convinced that noise is not increased in a significant way.

Thanks

11. wsgroves macrumors member

sblasl, I run 2 raptors in my machine, total of 4 drives and the machine is very quiet. The drives dont bother me at all and are hardly noticeable.

12. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

When idle, the Raptors are as quiet as the next Hard Drive, they're just a little noisier when reading/writing.

13. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

Well just an FYI, but the maxtor that came in my B&W in '99 is STILL running just fine right now in my current machine.......nevera notta problemo in 7 yrs of moving from machine to machine, multitudes of applications, reformats and OS versions (starting with 8.6) etc etc..... :rolleyes:

But OTOH, I just luv my 10k Raptors too, they be blazin! :D

14. jgrove macrumors newbie

I dont follow, surely the SATA II drives are quicker than the Raptor which is still SATA?

I am in the same boat, my MacPro came with a pretty standard hard drive. Looking for help in replacing it with a quicker one,

Cheers

15. aiongiant macrumors 6502a

i'm using the seagate 7200.10 320gb
    very fast drive.. not sure how fast it is to the raptors or anything
    but i'm very happy with it and it's plenty fast

16. babsuvulawho macrumors member

I added a 74GB Raptor for Windows use and I find it noiser than the Seagate which came with my Mac Pro.

17. Transeau macrumors 6502a

Transeau

2x Raptor 150's (One Tiger, One Leopard)
    2x Seagate 7200.9 300's (RAID-0 for storage)

18. aviationwiz macrumors regular

I have:

• Standard 250GB WD SATA2 drive for Mac OS
    • 74GB Raptor for Windows
    • 200GB Seagate for Storage
    • 300GB Seagate for Storage

19. aviationwiz macrumors regular

If I'm recalling correctly from when I was looking at reviews of the Raptor, the Raptor still outperforms most SATA2 drives, depending on what task is at hand.

20. paulinbognor macrumors member

I should be ordering my Mac Pro in the next week ad I'm planning to get 3 of these is a RAID 0 array; Maxtor Maxline Pro 500GB S300 16mb

21. hink10 macrumors newbie

I got 3 500gb Hitachi Deskstars with my mac pro. I ordered them separately because I found them at newegg for $189 each, Apple wanted $400!. I got apples stock 250 gb (I think WD) because to upgrade to 500gb would have cost as much as a Deskstar 500. I ordered my Mac at Powermax, they use the deskstars and I read some good reviews about them. I've been happy in the short time I've had them and 1.5 TB for under $600!

22. SPG macrumors 65816

SPG

Besides the stock boot drive, I added 3 Seagate 320gb SATA2 @$100 ea.
    Nearly a 1TB raid for $300. Deal!
    http://shop.hdnw.com/product.aspx?n=HD-320S01

Keep in mind that with any RAID0 you will lose everything if one drive goes down. That's 3x more likely in this situation, but is an acceptable risk since it's all just media and renders that can be recaptured even under the worst case scenario.

23. sblasl macrumors 6502a

sblasl

wsgroves: What configuration/settings are required on the Raptor drive before you install it. To be more precise, what are the jumper pins configuration? I read somewhere about disabling Native Command Queuing (NCQ).

24. Deerhunter04 macrumors member

I've heard reports of the 7200.10 not being compatible with the Mac Pro. Did you experience any problems with your drive?

25. jgrove macrumors newbie

No true, the 7200.10 are supposedly extremelt fast and quiet, but at the present time the Raptor outperforms them all.

Si i plan to get a raptor for boot,

then 2 Maxtors for RAID 0 with an external backup of both drives.