Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which harddrive for macbook?

• 160 GB internal

Votes: 25 65.8%
  • 300/500 external

Votes: 13 34.2%

• Total voters

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
i will be getting a macbook for college. i'm trying to decide between buying a 160 GB internal harddrive and using the either 60 or 80 for external (gotta decide between white or black) or should i keep the internal that it comes with and buy a big external (300 or 500 GB)?

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Largest possible for the internal.
It's a hell of a lot easier to get an external later than it is to get a larger internal and put it in.

Plus, the more elbow room you have for Parallels/BootCamp (should you want to use either/both), the happier you will be.

Oh wiat.. I see.. you're replacing your internal.

Well I'd STILL go for the largest internal because of BC/P.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
yellow said:
Largest possible for the internal.
It's a hell of a lot easier to get an external later than it is to get a larger internal and put it in.

Plus, the more elbow room you have for Parallels/BootCamp (should you want to use either/both), the happier you will be.

Oh wiat.. I see.. you're replacing your internal.

Well I'd STILL go for the largest internal because of BC/P.

but i can put bootcamp on the external, just have to install Tiger on the external also. but i can't carry it with me though :eek:

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
yellow said:
I didn't think Windows supported booting off an external?

i'm pretty sure. i haven't done it yet, but i know i can install Tiger on an external, and for bootcamp it says it must be installed on your "startup disk". i don't see why it wouldn't work with an external startup disk.

i think it's not windows that didn't support booting off an external, but you PC has to support it in the BIOS

xfiftyfour

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2006
Clemson, SC
I'd get the bigger internal, but that's because I like to be able to take everything with me. An external is great for backups, but to me, that's all.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
twoodcc said:
i'm pretty sure. i haven't done it yet, but i know i can install Tiger on an external, and for bootcamp it says it must be installed on your "startup disk". i don't see why it wouldn't work with an external startup disk.

i think it's not windows that didn't support booting off an external, but you PC has to support it in the BIOS

I'm pretty sure you can't on a Mac.

You CAN install (and boot from) OS X from an external, but OS X is not Windows, so you cannot compare the 2.

And BootCamp DOES say that Windows needs to be installed on your startup disk, but I'm almost positive that refers to the internal startup disk ONLY. Actually.. the documents say that it has to be the internal startup disk.

Windows XP requires its own partition on your computer's internal startup disk. Boot Camp Assistant creates a second partition on your startup disk ...

And finally, Macs don't have BIOS, they have EFI. What I meant earlier is that I don't think booting Windows from an external drive is supported on a Mac.. yet.

EDIT: apparently some people have been able to boot Windows off an external USB drive with minor issues.
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/191777/

I'd still go for the largest internal.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
yellow said:
I'm pretty sure you can't on a Mac.

You CAN install (and boot from) OS X from an external, but OS X is not Windows, so you cannot compare the 2.

And BootCamp DOES say that Windows needs to be installed on your startup disk, but I'm almost positive that refers to the internal startup disk ONLY. Actually.. the documents say that it has to be the internal startup disk.

And finally, Macs don't have BIOS, they have EFI. What I meant earlier is that I don't think booting Windows from an external drive is supported on a Mac.. yet.

EDIT: apparently some people have been able to boot Windows off an external USB drive with minor issues.
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/191777/

I'd still go for the largest internal.

maybe you are right, but i might just try it on my intel imac just to see

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
thanks for the replies.

yeah, it's looking like everyone thinks i should go internal. but it costs so much more!

internal = $1.25 per GB (160 GB)
external = $0.50 per GB (500 GB)

telecomm

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
Rome
twoodcc said:
thanks for the replies.

yeah, it's looking like everyone thinks i should go internal. but it costs so much more!

internal = $1.25 per GB (160 GB)
external = $0.50 per GB (500 GB)

Yeah, 2.5 vs. 3.5 drive size accounts for that.

Anyway, I just put a 100 GB drive in my PB, and it's really nice to have. (Though, to be fair, I've got 300 GB on external drives).

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
telecomm said:
Yeah, 2.5 vs. 3.5 drive size accounts for that.

Anyway, I just put a 100 GB drive in my PB, and it's really nice to have. (Though, to be fair, I've got 300 GB on external drives).

yeah i have several external drives already, but i am using them on other computers.

btw, did you vote?

e-clipse

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2006
Nashville,TN
I would go with an internal drive. So you don't always have to tote your firewire drive(s). 160gig is perfect for dual booting. I would allocate 60 for Windows if it was my setup. I plan to get Lacie 1/2 Tb external drive for storing recording projects.

telecomm

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
Rome
twoodcc said:
yeah i have several external drives already, but i am using them on other computers.

btw, did you vote?

Yeah, I did vote. :)

Anyway, is your plan then to put that drive that ships with the Macbook in an external enclosure? That's what I did with my PB about a week ago. It's working well, and it's really handy to be able to maintain a bootable backup on the external.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
telecomm said:
Yeah, I did vote. :)

Anyway, is your plan then to put that drive that ships with the Macbook in an external enclosure? That's what I did with my PB about a week ago. It's working well, and it's really handy to be able to maintain a bootable backup on the external.

yeah i will if i get an internal. how did you make a bootable backup?

oh yeah, thanks for voting! :)

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
twoodcc said:
yeah i will if i get an internal. how did you make a bootable backup?

oh yeah, thanks for voting! :)
this program should be able to make bootable backups. And I voted for an internal hard drive because I've had an external hard drive break on me before and an internal is so much more convenient.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
iBookG4user said:
this program should be able to make bootable backups. And I voted for an internal hard drive because I've had an external hard drive break on me before and an internal is so much more convenient.

thanks for the link and thanks for voting :)

KingYaba

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2005
Up the irons
Dude, your gettin' an internal

160 is a lot of space. Externals can get anoying. Plus say you go on a road trip or on a plane? you going to lug around external drives with you?

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
KingYaba said:
160 is a lot of space. Externals can get anoying. Plus say you go on a road trip or on a plane? you going to lug around external drives with you?

you do have a point :)

if i do get the 160 internal, where should i get it from? any links?

xfiftyfour

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2006
Clemson, SC
twoodcc said:
if i do get the 160 internal, where should i get it from? any links?
zipzoomfly if they ever get it in stock again...
mwave used to have it, but seem to have gotten rid of it?
OWC has it but it's expensive
newegg used to have it...can't find it anymore
and then there's always eBay i'm sure

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
xfiftyfour said:
zipzoomfly if they ever get it in stock again...
mwave used to have it, but seem to have gotten rid of it?
OWC has it but it's expensive
newegg used to have it...can't find it anymore
and then there's always eBay i'm sure

thanks for looking. out of all of those, only OWC has it that i can find.

®îçhå®?

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2006
I voted for the internal. The externals are always a pain to transport and the internal would be better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.