Which HD and Case to Buy???

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by vjmacaddict, Mar 10, 2007.

1. vjmacaddict macrumors member

vjmacaddict

I need an external, large capacity (350GB +) HD for my iBook G4. Can anyone recommend a good HD and case? I need to be able to boot from the external HD. Thanks.

2. caccamolle macrumors 6502

I just purchased for my macs a 2 bay CalDigit enclosure (FW 400/800, USB2.0). I had first read about it at Barefeats where they test it with favorable results. I needed FW so that I can easily use the thing across machines (mainly for video editing stuff).

It looks great and it is beautifully packaged; looks and feels very well built.

I have not used it much yet, but I have done some basic testing and it looks quite fast (only on the iMac, which, sadly, only has FW400; I will try it shortly on my PM G4 which does have FW800). I love it. For $299, with two 120 GB drives, it also seems nicely priced. The drives are Hitachi which these days are by many (particularly video editing dudes) considered fast and reliable. The latter was news to me, but is based on people I trust who do not screw around with their hardware !!! But things do change, and I had not bought a hd in a while.

Good luck.

3. cube macrumors G4

Seagate 7200.10 320GB has one of the lowest costs per gigabyte, and it uses only two platters, which is advantageous for reliability, noise, heat, and power consumption. I used one.

I needed something bigger, so now I have the 400GB because it was a better deal than the 500GB, but I didn't really want to get it, as both use 3 platters, so the 400 is the less optimized of the series.

If you really want big the 750 is the one with the best density, and the price now is not bad.

4. vjmacaddict thread starter macrumors member

vjmacaddict

Platters ???

What is the advantage of fewer platters? I'm guessing something like fewer moving parts? or less ware, and thus longer life?

-- vja4Him

5. cube macrumors G4

At the same size, I prefer the disk with fewer platters in general.

An extra platter means another thing that rotates, and an extra head or two that might crash. Then you have the aforementioned advantages.

I meant I preferred the 500 over the 400. Not that I didn't want 3 platters.