Which HD should I get?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Xephian, Nov 28, 2005.

1. Xephian macrumors 6502a

Xephian

2. Crikey macrumors 6502

I doubt a 7200RPM hard disk will be as fast as the Raptor. But if I had to sit in the same room with this system, I'd get the 7200RPM drive. More capacity, and quieter. But then it all depends on what you do with your computer and what sacrifices you are willing to make to gain a tiny bit of extra disk I/O performance.

Have fun!

Crikey

3. generik macrumors 601

generik

The raptor is pretty expensive.. I have 2 in my machine, and for that money I can probably buy 3 drives, each of which having twice the capacity.

Really depends on your needs, personally I find them a waste now. Rather just spend on more ram.

4. Xephian thread starter macrumors 6502a

Xephian

I already have 2GB RAM on the way.

How loud are they? Do they produce more noise than 7200 RPM drives?

5. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Yes.

Personally, unless you have a server or are editing large file (like huge GB movies or something), stick with a 7200 RPM hard drive. I feel it is the best cost/benefit option. I also hear that 16 MB cache doesn't make that much of a difference over 8 MB in normal day-to-day computing. I'd get the 8 MB and get more storage for the same price.

6. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Hmmm...

WD740GD Average sustained transfer rate: 72MB/s

WD Caviar SE16 400GB Average sustained transfer rate: 61MB/s

All depends on whether 11MB/s is worth 300+GB, or whether a slightly slower drive is worth and extra $60.

Probably got the wrong specs, but that average sustained transfer rate is what moves your data once the cache goes dry.

7. kwajo.com macrumors 6502a

kwajo.com

if you're not obsessed with every tiny ounce of speed, and you don't work with time-critical tasks, then get the 400GB drive, no questions asked

8. Xephian thread starter macrumors 6502a

Xephian

Thanks for all your suggestions. I've decided to go with the 400GB drive instead. IMO, the extra 11MB transfer rate isn't worth the sacrifice of ~330GB.

9. Bear macrumors G3

I would recommend not getting a Western Digital drive at all.

From everything that I've seen, I would only get Seagate or Hitachi.

10. Xephian thread starter macrumors 6502a

Xephian

I did see a Seagate Barracuda for $16 more but there was no $20 rebate.

Anyway, I've never had any bad experiences with WD. I have 2x 200GB WD's in my PC and one I've had for over two years now with no problems.

EDIT: The Seagate also has only 8MB Cache Vs 16MB Cache.

11. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Definitely go for the 400 gig model, the extra space will come in seriously handy in the future, however little you think you'll use...it always seems to disappear and never want to come back!

The 16 meg cache will definitely speed things up, and from the looks of the transfer rates, the Raptor will give you a very minimal performance boost for a serious price hike and a major downgrade in capacity.:)

12. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I'm like that too. I tend to go for capacity over speed for hard drives. Of course, that's because most of my hard drive space is taken up by fansubbed anime...