Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Barcafan89

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 23, 2015
England
Will they be updated in September ?
Which is better for portability and general Web serfing and stuff what are the spec differences

dominiongamma

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2014
Phoenix. AZ
Which is better for portability and general Web serfing and stuff what are the spec differences
I bought a 9.7 yesterday I love that's it's the right size for portability and we'd surfing. Some people will say go 12.9 for the screen size and the ram but I have like 6 apps opens with no apps reloading which was a concern when I bought a 9.7 but I don't regret it now. :) it's up to you if you want a bigger screen or more portiablity.

Commy1

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2013
I've had my iPad Pro 9.7" since its release and love it. I was going to pick up the 12" but the size was too big for what I needed.
I picked out the Apple Pencil and Urban Armor Gear folio case, very very pleased with it.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Not sure why you need multiple discussions for a single iPad purchase. Not sure who can make your mind up for you.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'm partial to the 12" model - go big or go home, type of mentality. It offers more ram, and processing power. I think it provides more options then its little brother - just my $.02

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I'm partial to the 12" model - go big or go home, type of mentality. It offers more ram, and processing power. I think it provides more options then its little brother - just my $.02
And the larger size allows for a larger keyboard cover. Although I had adjusted to typing on keyboard covers for the Air 2, I had to re-adjust when I got the 12.9 Pro... no need to feel cramped. :)

thelead

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2010
I have the 12.9 and bought my wife the 9.7. You can't go wrong with either. I think mobility should be your biggest factor. If you plan on walking around with the iPad go for the 9.7; if not, go with the 12.9.

Reactions: dominiongamma

dominiongamma

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2014
Phoenix. AZ
I have the 12.9 and bought my wife the 9.7. You can't go wrong with either. I think mobility should be your biggest factor. If you plan on walking around with the iPad go for the 9.7; if not, go with the 12.9.
Agree! I will be more motivated to bring it places with me if its 9.7 :p

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
We don't need three threads of same subject from same person,do we? Go digital green and save digital paper.

At the end, get what you need...is it even needed? Or wanted?

Reactions: Rok73 and ABC5S

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
For me, I prefer the 9.7 Inch. The 12.9 is alittle to cumbersome, and it depends how your using it. I also have the iPad Air 2, which is a perfect size for me. However, if the second generation 12.9 Pro can prove to be a replacement for my laptop, then I will upgrade to this model. If Cook can prove this as he said it would be a replacement.

Kal-037

macrumors 68020
Both are amazing, but the 12.9" has more RAM, better USB 3.0 lightning port, and the keyboard and screen size help with typing and drawing much easier than on the smaller 9.7"

But the 9.7" is more portable and still almost as powerful as the 12.9"
It also has a few features the 12.9" doesn't, most notably: bright and true cinema quality colors and display, true tone, and a great FaceTime and backside camera.

So it really comes down to size preference, as both are almost equal in specs.

Kal.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Both are amazing, but the 12.9" has more RAM, better USB 3.0 lightning port, and the keyboard and screen size help with typing and drawing much easier than on the smaller 9.7"

But the 9.7" is more portable and still almost as powerful as the 12.9"
It also has a few features the 12.9" doesn't, most notably: bright and true cinema quality colors and display, true tone, and a great FaceTime and backside camera.

So it really comes down to size preference, as both are almost equal in specs.

Kal.

You end up keeping both?

Ledgem

macrumors 68020
Jan 18, 2008
Hawaii, USA
Most iPads are updated in October. Based on rumors, the larger iPad will probably receive an update, although we don't yet know what the changes will be. It's unclear if the smaller iPad Pro will be updated, as it's a fair bit newer. If you can afford to wait, then wait; you have about 1-2 months to find out if they'll be getting updates, at which time you would either be able to get the latest and greatest, or pick up the current generation at a discounted cost.

For portability, the smaller iPad will always win out. The larger iPad is surprisingly light, but the size makes it a bit cumbersome to bring about and to hold in your hand for extended periods of time. Holding with two hands or propping it against something is more manageable, but if you wanted to hold with one hand and write with your other (notepad-style), it's very difficult to do.

From a hardware standpoint, the smaller variant has 2 GB of RAM and its processor and graphics chip are clocked slightly slower (2.16 GHz, vs 2.26 GHz). The larger iPad has 4 GB of RAM - the most of any iOS device at present. You can juggle 4-7 apps without needing to reload them (depending on the apps, of course), and when they do, it's incredibly quick.

The optimal device depends on your intended usage. If you're looking to have a device to carry around the house and rarely take outside, then size doesn't matter much; if you want something to use while you're out and about, the smaller device has the advantage. If you're looking to use the Apple Pencil, the larger device has the advantage if you're looking to do graphical work; for writing, there's no clear advantage to either (unless you're trying to write on the device while holding it with one hand, in which case the smaller device wins). As far as use as a laptop replacement, the larger iPad's type cover has larger keys, which may be more comfortable to type on. For performance, it's difficult to say whether you'd really notice a difference in your day-to-day usage, but the larger iPad Pro is the absolute best you can get in speed and overall performance. I don't know that the increased cost is justified by having Safari tabs reload just a bit less frequently, though.

Just one more note about the size. We tend to talk about the devices in terms of their screen size, but the physical dimensions of the iPads are larger owing to the top and bottom that includes the camera and fingerprint sensor. The larger iPad Pro is 1-2 inches longer than the Retina MacBook, despite having a screen size that measures the same diagonal size (12.9" vs. 13" for the MacBook). It's still amazingly more nimble than how laptops were even just a few years ago, but compared to the current generation of mobile devices, it's probably one of the least portable.

Eric5273

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2009
New Jersey
It depends on your use...

If you are just looking for a nice tablet, and plan to use it like a tablet (holding it in your hands), get the 9.7". If you are looking for a laptop replacement and plan to use it more often with a keyboard at a desk or table like a laptop, then get the 12.9".

Reactions: prospervic
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.