Which ibook package?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Red Belly, Jun 9, 2005.

1. Red Belly macrumors member

This is not a yet another "when are the new ibooks due out" thread!

I am buying an ibook. I am going to wait for the upgrade. I will then be a switcher. I currently run win98se on a creaking Gateway Pentium III 550 with a 10Gig HD and 368RAM. In the meantime I have almost decided what I would buy if I HAD to buy now.

The powerbooks are out of my budget, plus I don't think I need the extra power. I actually like the look of the ibook better. I have narrowed it down to two options as follows and would appreciate any input/opinion for or against either option. My pricing is based in euros with an educational discount because I live in Ireland and I'm a teacher. And no, my school will not supply me with a laptop, I need to buy it myself!

Option 1: 14" ibook superdrive + BT + 60G HD, Airport Express base station, tucano second skin, 1Gig crucial RAM. This will cost approx. €1780 and should easily meet all my computing needs for 3 to 5 years.

Option 2: 12" ibook combo, +BT + 60Gig HD, AE base station, tucano second skin, 1 Gig crucial RAM and a samsung dual layer USB dvd +/-RW external drive (or similar). This will cost approx €1500 and should also meet my needs for the next 3 to 5 years.

Both options are a little beyond my budget but I can take the pain of debt and the longer I wait for the update the more I can save. I'm leaning towards option B: It's cheaper, I'll have two drives making copying CDs 'on-the-fly' easier. The external drive will be faster and better than the superdrive and should be useful in tandem with my NEXT computer also. The downside is the small screen. I wear glasses, I'm shortsighted but not VERY shortsighted. Any other 'four eyes' out there using a 12" notebook? I should be able to recycle my old PC's 15" monitor for use either mirroring or spanning at home but I'd prefer not to have the hassle of plugging things in etc and keeping that old crt monster cluttering up my lovely home. The 11% difference in the processing speed of the 14" is hardly going to be very noticeable is it?

I expect the updates will mean I get a slightly better computer for perhaps slightly less money. I don't expect my choices to really be that much different than they are now, unless something quite revolutionary like a 13" widescreen model is released. I'm simply prepared to wait a little while for a modest cash saving or slight bump.

I seek help here largely because I do not have access to an apple store or even a reseller. I will be buying 'blind' so to speak as I will not get to physically 'check out' ibooks before I buy, and although I can measure out the size of the screens etc it's not the same as hands-on.

Any thoughts?

rb

2. 18thTomorrow macrumors 6502

Hm...the models you specify are quite similar, i guess it's all in your preference. I use a 14" ibook and bought it specifically for the SuperDrive--meaning I probably would have gotten 12" otherwise. It's a good machine. I don't think you'll regret the smaller screen on the 12" though, they're awfully cute. My good friend has one and I haven't had any vision problems with it--you shouldn't with 1024x768 resolution. And BTW I'm extremely nearsighted.

that's my take on it...I can't choose for you. I think you'll be happy with it whatever you get.

3. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Get the 12". I love my ultra portable 12" iBook G4. Remember the 14" has the same resolution as the 12" and weighs more. Except for the Superdrive I don't see any advantage, unless you have very poor eyesight. ;)

One thing, though, get the 80 GB HD if you can. It's a constant struggle to keep 5-6 GB free on my 60 GB. :(

4. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

I am still awed by my iBook. I switched almost a year ago. You'll love it.

I see you've found the edu discount.

I couldn't handle the 12 inch screen personally. I did get to 'play' with 12" and 14" iBooks at a Best Buy, but I was pretty much sold even before that. I just was there were a higher resolution iBook.

Shouldn't be any noticeable difference in processor speeds, only from what you currently have to the iBook! :D

Since it's summer, if you can wait for possible iBook updates you might wait and see what happens. Also, watch for the Cram 'n Jam special: $200 off a laptop and iPod purchase.

5. Zukatah macrumors newbie

By the way, when does that fantastic deal on iPods will come in effect? I "need" a laptop by july for work (I'm also a student but I have a project to do during the summer which requires portability) and I'd very much like to be able to get an iPod at the same time!

6. thehuncamunca macrumors 6502

anyone's guess, personally i think they'll come out with new ibooks in a week or 2 (being that they need to send schools the back to school specials)
    probably not going to be that big of an upgrade but with some special deal like cram and jam it'll be a much nicer buy