Which iLife?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by muflyer, Sep 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. muflyer macrumors member

Jun 14, 2006
    I am a user of the iLife programs from several generations ago (iMovie3), iPhoto2, etc. and I am planning on upgarding my iMac with Tiger 10.4 and an updated iLife program. I am curious which version (iLife 04, iLife 05, iLife 06 or possibly waiting for 07) everyone would recommend. Obviously, the latest version sounds the neatest with all the bells and whistles, but I am looking for a stable system which causes the least conflicts and yet adds as many new features as possible. I would especially like to add new themes as I primarily use iMovie in conjunction with iDVD and I also depend on iPhoto for all my photos including the basic editing. I don't want to overtax my system. It seems like everytime Apple releases a new version, it has new problems, conflicts, etc and they also remove some features from prior versions. Also, is there a way to keep the old version of the program alongside the new version and integrate the two in case I don't like some of the things in the new program? I also wonder if I can retain the old themes when I add a new version? Thanks, Chris
  2. Keebler macrumors 68030

Jun 20, 2005
    '06 has been great for me. few bugs. '05 was very solid. i'd wait for 7 unless you can get a great deal on 06 now
  3. devilot Moderator emeritus

May 1, 2005
    I only know a teensy bit...

If you have your original install disks that came with your system (or if you had purchased a retail version of iLife) then you can always go back to those original disks and reinstall those versions. I don't see a problem say if you wanted to use iPhoto '04 with iMovie '06, but perhaps it's best to see if more experienced members have more input. :eek:
  4. MacFan25863 macrumors 6502a

Jun 20, 2004
    For your specific example, I know iPhoto went through a major overhaul between '04 and '06, so I don't think they would be compatible with each other.

I would say wait for 7, unless you need the features of the later versions now.
  5. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

Jan 7, 2003
    Washington, DC

Agreed. You might be able to pick up a cheaper copy of iLife 6, used, too, after 7 comes out.

BTW, I have 10.4 and iLife 6 on a G4 (1ghz) iMac and have had no real problems. It's a bit slower (iphoto for sure), but the features are improved. That's just the way it is with an older computer. Certainly nothing intolerable.
  6. mkaake macrumors 65816

Apr 10, 2003
    I've run iLife '04, '05, and '06 (which I got free from apple!)... and I'd say '06 for sure.

I'm running a slower machine than you are, but '06 has been pretty stable/fast. iPhoto saw a major slowdown with version 5 for me, but 6 sped it up a bit more, and throwing ram at it made it useable again. With your 1.25 gigs of ram, you should be good to go.

Also, while it's been a few months since I've done any projects, I seem to remember (especially after going '05 -> '06) that '06 just seemed right... whereas there were a lot of little 'gotchas!' in '05. More consistent UI and behaviors, more stable when trying to work with larger files.

And I really like being able to make cards and calendars. I'm a sucker for that stuff.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.