Which imac configuration do you recommend?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by allisonv7, Sep 27, 2004.

1. allisonv7 macrumors 6502

Hey everyone...

I'm going to be purchasing a new iMac fairly soon (probably around Christmas) and am looking at what would be the best option for me.

I'm primarily going to use it for the internet, some photoshop/illustrator/dreamweaver stuff, itunes w/my ipod, probably a game or two (Does Sims 2 work on a mac platform?). Nothing really hardcore, no video stuff or anything like that.

So here's my questions:

Should I get the $1299 model or the $1499 model (I want the 17in screen)? I dont really know what I would use a DVD-R for and I'm not sure if that extra .2 of processor is worth it? What do you guys think?

I'm thinking I will want to upgrade the memory to 512mb for $75. Will this be good for the programs I said I would be running? Or should I get more? Also, I've read of some people ordering memory elsewhere and putting it in their new imacs, does this void the apple warranty?

Currently in my home we have wireless internet, all we have are PC's and they're all connected from a Linksys 802.11g router. Do I need to order an Airport Express card to be able to connect to this? Or is there a standard wireless card already in the imac?

I think that's it for now, thank you for your help :)

Allison.

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

DON'T pay Apple $75 for the extra 256MB RAM, it's a complete rip-off. Grab the extra memory yourself and fit it. I always here the americans on these forums say that newegg.com is a good place, or just go straight to crucial.com.

3. Josh macrumors 68000

Josh

Try for the student discount, and go for the 17" w/ superdrive.

The extra proc. speed wont hurt you, and having DVD-R might come in handy, you never know.

I bought mine last night, at CompUSA.

I got a 17" w/ superdrive and applecare. I told them at first $169 for applecare isnt worth it. He then said he'd give me applecare for $69. So they took $100 of the price of the imac.

So I got the imac for $1399. :)

4. allisonv7 thread starter macrumors 6502

Does that void the warranty though? And how easy is it to do?

Thanks,

Allison.

5. allisonv7 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, I'm thinking I'll probably go for the superdrive, If I'm going to spend 1299, I might as well spend 1499 :)

I was a student up until three months ago, think I'll still qualify for that discount? I think I'm going to get mine from Apple though, the Compusa people at our store are idiots, I'd hate to buy something from them.

Thanks,

Allison.

6. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Nope, it doesn't void warranty. 3 screws, pop the back of, slot it in and your done, dead easy!

7. Josh macrumors 68000

Josh

Yeah - they are idiots...but the 6 mos, 0% interest is what got me lol. I didnt have all the cash at once, and the 22% interest from Apple is insane.

You will definitely still qualify. Are you going to buy from the online store? If so, they just ask you what school you go to. They dont ask you to prove it in any way. So basicly, you could be 80 years old, and say you go to Parkside High School, and still get the discount ;)

8. emw macrumors G4

emw

Airport and display...

To answer your question on Airport - you will need to get the Extreme card from Apple. Might as well have them put it in for you as well, although it's not real difficult to do after the fact, so if you can get it faster not going Build To Order, then you may consider it.

I agree with getting RAM outside of Apple for cost sake, unless you are really uncomfortable opening the iMac to install it (but it really is easy).

As for the screen, I know the 20" is quite a bit more than the 17", but since you may get an unexpected student discount, I'd look at the 20". Not only is it larger (33% more screen area), it has a significantly better viewing angle and better brightness, both of which would be desirable when doing image design work.