Which iMac is best for games?

Discussion in 'Games' started by markymo, Sep 28, 2006.

1. markymo macrumors newbie

Hi, I am about to upgrade my old iMac 800mhz G4 but am usure which model of new iMac is the best over all for gaming. I have read various threads and am becoming confused over the choice avalable. Is the 20' top spec model better than the 24' top spec when it comes to gaming? Please help.

2. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Lo

24" with 256 mb 7600 GPU
    20" with 256 mb X1600 GPU

3. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

The fastest is of course the fastest... so the 24" with the 7600GT is the fastest for games.

4. markymo thread starter macrumors newbie

I was told that the 24' screen requires more computing power so the difference in speed is reduced. Thats why I thought that it may be better to stick to the smaller screen. Guess I was wrong! Im glad tho I have my heart set on th 24' vertion.

Many Thanks!

5. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Nup, maybe if they had the same cards there could be a 0.5fps difference but the top-of-the-line 24" version of the iMac is the best for games by a long, long way.

6. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

Thats only if you run it at full resolution. The resolution you choose will define how fast the game goes and at the same resolution the 7600GT in the 24" will kick the X1600 all the way back to canada. Running both at full resolution then things will be a lot different.

7. markymo thread starter macrumors newbie

Think i understand now. So i guess i will be saving my pennies for a few more months then! Im glad tho i think that the 24' looks better (although I have only seen pictures).
    Thank you all for your help.

8. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

The 24" iMac is dead-set bloody gorgeous.