Which iMac model will have the highest resale?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by supergod, Feb 1, 2006.

1. supergod macrumors 6502

I am probably going to be trading in my PowerMac G5 1.6ghz and my Dell 2005fpw for an iMac. Since the 20" iMac has gone on sale now, I am really tempted to pick it up. It is selling for $1620 CAD, and my comp and display would be getting at least $1300. I would either be getting the G5 20" iMac or the new intel 17" iMac.

My main use for the computer will be logic 7, but I can afford to wait for it to come out on universal binary (use Garageband for a few weeks). Most or all of the synths and other apps I use have been released as universal binaries as well, so I wouldn't have to change my setup too much. And I think I could give up some screen real estate if need be.

My only reason for choosing the new intel iMac (over the G5) would be if it had a higher resale value. Would the intel iMac have a higher resale value because it is the newer model, or would the G5 have the higher resale, as it was initially a higher priced model. I'm estimating that if I bought a new iMac, I would probably keep it for about two to three years and then sell it.

As a second idea, if anyone thinks that the resale value of the computers would drop drastically in that time, I could always give the computer to my parents to use as an upgrade from their 700mhz iMac G4.

2. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

the newest thing will always have a higher resale value. Because apple is shifting to intel chips, the G5 eventually will have less support, so its value will go down faster.

3. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

True, but I hear that 20" G4 iMacs are keeping their value pretty well as well, since they are a bit of a rarity. That's what I hope happens to my G4 iMac. ;) :cool:

But yes, as a general rule, the most recent machine will always have the highest resale value - until the next one comes along, and so forth...

In general though, Macs retain their value pretty well, so you shouldn't have much to worry about no matter what you decide. :cool:

4. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

I suppose. There's always a few people willing to pay for something because of cachet, like the cube. I suspect that the G4 iMacs will have that a bit. I doubt that the last version of the G5 imac will, however. And besides, it's maybe $100 or so above what it should be--not much. Anyway, buying a computer for resale value is probably misguided unless you're planning to buy and sell regularly and on short recycle (i.e., each year).

5. spencecb macrumors 6502a

spencecb

I guess we will have to wait and see what this transition will do to all of the Macs that we have that have PowerPC's. I'm willing to bet that they will not depreciate as much as some people are claiming they will. The G5 can still hold its own against the new Intel machines, as can be seen in the Anandtech article. There is a link to this article on the main page of MacRumors, and I suggest that everyone read it before making descions on which of the iMacs to get.

6. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

I'd say the Intel version will hold it's value longer. Although in the short term the G5 might because it has iSight and some people would prefer to have the G5 rather than Intel processor.

I'd say though to get the 20" iMac (intel or G5). You will hate yourself for downgrading from 20" to 17". Also the iMac 20" uses the same panel as the Dell so it would be just like the facia changed.

7. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

In two years time, there may be a few people around who need some application that doesn't run on an Intel chip, or some Classic application, and their Macintosh just broke down...

These would be people who _must_ buy a used Mac G4/G5. Where a used Intel iMac would compete with the latest and greatest on the Apple Store (including refurbished Macs), the G5 iMac wouldn't. That might keep the resale value a bit higher.

On the other hand, the Intel iMac will be much more useful through its life time.

8. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

it depends, if a collector will buy the G5 imac you might get some money for it, but i would guess that the intel imac would sell better from now until they don't support the system and your computer will be outdated it should run most apps just fine. So a person who is more on a budget could purchase the intel version and have it last for quite some time rather then the G5 will soon have no life in a few years.....

9. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Exactly - I don't know about other people, but I buy computers to use and enjoy them. ;) That being said, it is always important to keep things like resale, longevity, expandability, etc. in mind - all just part of the overall research one should do when making any significant purchase. :cool:

10. supergod thread starter macrumors 6502

The reason that I have resale value as a priority is that I would eventually want to upgrade to a laptop, for use in gigs and for studio recording.

Hearing how hard it is to upgrade the intel iMacs also makes me want to stay with the G5. I know the G5 is powerful enough to run Logic, as my 1.6ghz does get the job done.

11. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Yeah, I see where you're coming from. In your case, yes, agree, since the iMacs are very unupgradeable, you want to make sure you're getting the most bang for your buck and set yourself up to win in the future. :cool:

12. Johnny Rico macrumors 6502

Just remember that no matter what imac you buy, it will most likely be entirely incompatible with the ipods that get released in 2009. :mad:

13. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

And OS 11 in 2011. The nerve of Apple, I tell ya... :p :cool:

14. Johnny Rico macrumors 6502

Actually I was making a reference to the fact that G4 imacs pre- september 2003 don't have usb2 and the new ipods don't support firewire. But thanks for the jackass commentary!

15. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Ohhhh, I get it now - good point actually! :D

Yeah, just call me the MacRumors Bastard - it's what I do, nothing personal. ;) :cool:

16. Dalriada macrumors 6502

Well I'd say the PowerBook... :p sorry couldn't resist that one.

17. Johnny Rico macrumors 6502

Also the new intel imacs will be able to run OS XI in 2011 but they'll need mass ram and hard drive upgrades and still won't be able to support all of the features, so it would just make more sense in the long run to buy a new machine on the lower end of the product range. You won't end up spending that much more on a new computer than on upgrades and it'll run OS XI better than the old machine w/ upgrades.

Ah well at least they don't come in a bunch of different cheesy colors..

18. TheMasin9 macrumors 6502a

TheMasin9

trade, collection values

realistically, i think people collect different macs for the diffferent form factors not for the different speed processors. If somebody has an imac g5/intel they are prolly not going to want the other half of that. an alum powerbook is an alum powerbook so on and soforth...