Which Installation?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Cold_Steel, May 14, 2005.

1. Cold_Steel macrumors member

Hi guys,

I have been hearing that people are having a lot of problems when Tiger is installed through the 'archive and install' option?

Is the best option of installing without any problems the 'clean installation' option? I take it this is like a clean start and shouldnt lead to any probs?

Matt

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Not unless erasing all existing data on your hard drive is a problem.

If you go this route, back up your user's folder so you can restore everything later.

3. Cold_Steel thread starter macrumors member

ok cheers for the advice mate. I dont have anything that I need to back up so im just gonna go the safest and most 'stable' route - a clean install of Tiger.

Thanks,

Matt

4. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Is it a new computer that you have nothing on? Or is everything already backed up?

Clean install means having another few hours to re-install all your applications (don't start doing ones that require a restart until after Spotlight has finished indexing) and putting all your images/music/documents back on from wherever it currently is. But yes, it probably means fewer problems overall.

Next cleanest is Archive & Install which keeps your applications and images/music etc but replaces all the System files.

5. Cold_Steel thread starter macrumors member

does the archive option put all the apps in a seperate system folder like 10.2 and 10.2 did?

6. rickvanr macrumors 68040

rickvanr

yes, it does. I haven't heard or had any problems installing tiger on multiple macs via this route. The only time I've heard of problems was when a user selects "Upgrade"

7. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

They stay in their regular Applications folder. The old 'System' folders - Library, System Folder etc - get 'archived' into a Previous Systems folder (takes up about 2-3GB). You can pull out old settings etc from here if you need to (like the Adobe Unit Types file you need to replace since otherwise Photoshop won't open files if you drag them onto the Dock icon) but otherwise you can delete that quite happily after a few weeks once you're happy everything is working.

I used this method and haven't had any stability problems but then, I couldn't face having to reinstall all my applications!

8. Cold_Steel thread starter macrumors member

How many other apps do you have that didnt come 'on' the actual tiger dvd?

Matt

9. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

Commercially, just Office, Photoshop and a few games.

But I've got a fair amount of freeware/shareware that I couldn't face going to find again. It probably would only have taken a day or two to get everything back up and running but I decided to do an Archive & Install and if there were problems, I'd still have the option to do a Clean Install. It was only going to waste an hour to A&I as opposed to several hours re-installing everything (and I include reimporting my iTunes/iPhoto libraries, my Safari bookmarks, my iCal and Addressbook in there)