Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What do you use as is your primary Internet Browser on Android?

• Chrome

Votes: 29 58.0%
  • Firefox

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Opera

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • OEM Browser (Samsung, HTC, etc)

Votes: 17 34.0%
  • Other

Votes: 3 6.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 27, 2011
I'm expecting to see most people use Chrome, but am curious how many don't.

If you don't use Chrome as your primary browser, what is it that you prefer about your primary browser of choice?

Edit: After creating the poll, I realised there are two variants of Opera browser. For sake of simplicity (and because I don't know how to edit the poll), please consider both to come under the single Opera option.

Last edited:

SurferMan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010
South FL
I use Chrome, it's better than before, very smooth and fast. I remember it being great when it first came out then it got wonky and bloated with updates over the years, on the S7 right now it rocks though. I'll have to try the Samsung browser more to play with it as many are saying good things about it. My issue is I love the way Chrome syncs everything and bookmarks etc automatically across my devices/computers.

Those that are using the Sammy browser what do you like better?

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Chrome on stock devices or devices without their own.

Samsung Internet on the Galaxy/Note lines.

Don't necessarily prefer one over the other but on Samsung devices the Samsung browser uses less ram and seems faster. As only one is truly un-installable I remove chrome and keep Sammy's.

Neverbepeace

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2009
New York
I tend to stick with the OEM browser. I feel its optimized for the phone that it is on.

96dkra.gif

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
Browser.apk from CM13. The fastest and most lightweight browser for Android I have ever used.

But I really do miss Safari, Android is awesome, but no browser can come even close to Safari speed and how simply fluid Safari feels :(

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Chrome, begrudgingly. It's much better than it used to be but still not terrific. However I want pages/bookmarks synced across all of my devices so this is my best option.

Reactions: Fanaticalism

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
Before I used mainly Opera Mini because my prepaid promo only offers 40 MB for 1 or 2 days at equal to 33 cents. Opera Mini can last because it saves so much data compressed. But I go through this 1 GB data 1 week promo for about $1.50 with a different network because I don't get signal in my room from my previous network. The unused data and texts carries over too the following week if I register before it expires. Now I don't use Opera Mini as much and went back to CM Browser.

On my Lumia, I use UC Browser. I used it on my Androids too because every time I ask for an AT&T unlock code in their page, UC can input the letters and numbers I typr. I rarely ever used Chrome and disabled it. Eats up RAM and drains battery. Opera Mini is the most battery and data efficient for me. I get about 8-9+ hrs SOT while on Chrome or CM, I get about 5-6. But Opera Mini has its quirks so I rotate between it, CM, and UC.

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 27, 2011
I'm a bit surprised at the % of people using OEM browsers (I assume mainly Samsung). I hadn't anticipated it being as high as 30%.

I typically use Chrome for ease of syncing (although a couple of things irritate me about it, hence the thread).

I spent a bit of time trying the Samsung browser, Firefox, and Opera mini yesterday. One thing that would prevent me from using any of them is none seem to use Marshmallow's new text selection menu for select/copy/paste and sharing. What's up with that? All other apps on my phone in which I might want to select text seem to be using it.

martint235

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2016
Just given up my Android device but while I had one, Dolphin browser with the jetpack add on was the best I found and used it for years.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.