Which Internet Browser do you use?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by SilvorX, May 24, 2002.

?

Which browser(s) do you use the most?

1. OmniWeb

7 vote(s)
    13.7%
  2. Internet Explorer

23 vote(s)
    45.1%
  3. Netscape 4x

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Netscape 6x/7x Preview

2 vote(s)
    3.9%
  5. Mozilla

11 vote(s)
    21.6%
  6. Opera

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. other

8 vote(s)
    15.7%
  1. SilvorX macrumors 68000

SilvorX

since i'm new here i felt like posting a poll on what everyone prefers to use as a web browser...
    well on XP i like using Mozilla 1.0 RC2, but when i'm on a mac i like using IE 5.2/Moz

2. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

I like how Chimera is coming around, but i'm still stuck with IE.

I don't know... I just don't like Mozilla that much, and OmniWeb is a little too slow still.

Come to think of it, I wanna dump IE just cauz its Microsoft.... but I jsut can't :( :( :(

irmongoose

3. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

I use IE 95% of the time no matter what platform I am on. At home, that is the Mac about 90% of the time. I just recieved a pair of drives that will be going into my game peecee tomorrow (two 160GB drives that are going to be set as RAID 0).

At work, I am on the Mac, unless I need to fix a peecee. Even then, I typically work on those in my office, and use my Mac while I fix up the peecee (or poc by then).

4. SilvorX thread starter macrumors 68000

SilvorX

i know how u feel irmongoose, i wanted to dump IE for so long on my puter since all builds of IE 5/5.5/6.0 are all buggy, and i finally dumped it 3-4 months ago for mozilla but then again IE tries to steal the associations all the time, thats wha i hate bout integration...but a few more months then i hope to get a mac

5. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Re: Which Internet Browser do you use?

Alright, wtf do you get IE 5.2 on a Mac????? The current, latest release is 5.1.4 (for OS 9 and OS X). That is the latest official release... and as far as I know m$ doesn't release beta versions of their browsers. Or at least ones listed as beta. Everyone knows that the first release of any windblowschunks is a beta, and usually is until the second service pack. For heXPee, that will probably be the third service pack (if you are lucky).

6. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I use OmniWeb mainly for it's ability to block the window.open javascript from running itself, it'll only allow it to operate if you click a link, so it stops the majority of popups.

7. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

I use mozilla. The interface just looks so much nicer and cleaner than that of ie. It still has some bugs that need sorting, but i'm more than willing to put up with a few little idiosyncrasies for the sake of getting away from ie.

8. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

I use netscape/explorer it goe 50/50
    but now it's mainly netscape 7....which is basically mozilla
    and I often use omniweb

9. King Cobra macrumors 603

I've been switching back and forth between Netscape and Mozilla. Now I am using Netscape700B1 (just my shortcut for it) and it looks pretty similar to Mozilla100RC2.

I will stick with these two and wait for Netscape700 to finally be completed. And I do not use IE, unless it's for some site server problem confirmation.

Fear the King.

10. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

i use chimera as much as i can

i have problems with it and qt movies and sometimes downloading files... so that's when i use ie.

but it's what i use almost all the time

oh, i also can't post pics on message from chimera... hmm. anyone else have this problem?

11. j763 macrumors 6502a

wtf are you using NS for??? NS7 is just Mozilla with some NS logos slapped on and just some $#!+ to load it down, also known as 'AOL Features'. Some ppl have a strange definition of the word 'feature'

12. j763 macrumors 6502a

And to all the IE users out there -- just give Mozilla a shot. Use it for a week, that's all... At first the interface will seem somewhat slower than IE, but after a week of use, you'll see how it actually runs faster than IE...

Just give it a go --- get RC 3 or just wait for the final of 1.0

13. SilvorX thread starter macrumors 68000

SilvorX

Re: Re: Which Internet Browser do you use?

um...plz dont flame....
    it was just a typo, i meant 5.1 n there *are* betas of IE out there, but only beta testers get ahold of them, but IE 6 betas for windows are a diff story, they werent made also to circulate on the web, but some of the beta testers get ahold of the beta versions of IE 6, and send them to ppl n lots o ppl get ahold of them over the net...
    even i have an unreleased beta version for windows... which is IE version 6.0.2800.1005 n the version thats on the microsoft site is 6.0.2800.0000. n to tell ya the truth, the unreleased sp1 beta that i have, is basically the buggiest browser since ie 5x for windoze. it crashes at random, unlike mozilla (now days) and ns7

14. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

SilvorX, I am fairly certain that no one in here gives a rat's anal probe about what browser you use on a peecee. This is a MAC site, not a peecee site.

j763, I did try the other browsers for a while, didn't like them at all. Never mind the fact that they don't always render web sites correctly. Someone mentioned about changing a setting to make the site think that it is an acceptable browser... why should I have to go in and mess around with stuff like that when I have a browser that does work, and renders the site properly every time?

15. King Cobra macrumors 603

Heh, there goes Alpha again, with his uncensorable choice of words! :)

Where were you yesterday when I opened up a can on aafuss and his PC Babya software? We could have used you.

Fear the King.

16. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Sorry about that king.... I was having dinner and relaxing a little bit. By the time I was back on the boards the thread was closed and locked down. I had a few spare cases to use on that one, but alas, could not.

Currently, I am waiting for someone to paint a bullseye on themself for me to go after. Granted, when it comes to me, that target doesn't need to be all that large for me to see it. A little red dot is about all it takes :D.. actually, that probably comes from my laser scope. :D :eek:

17. King Cobra macrumors 603

I kind of figured that you would be out having a relaxing evening. It seems as if everyday you refer to a rat's rectum, or just like to aim for bullseyes. You probably needed a day off. :)

Well, once you find that bullseye, I will be right here, watching with a hard hat (my KC cap) and a backup case in case you run out.

The only problem with me holding them spare is that I am underage... :)

Fear the King.

18. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

Have you tried...

...Omniweb 4.0.6, or Omniweb 4.1b7? 4.1 is a lot faster than 4.0.6. I find it's a tiny bit behind chimera, which is a medium sized bit behind mozilla. Unfortunately, Mozilla is ugly, and chimera doesn't have some features I want. OW4.1b7 is a bit faster (read that as: a very small bit) than IE, it looks better, and it does file handleres more sensibly.

19. stromie952 macrumors regular

I have been using Chimera on my iBook, but I can't get it to install on our Quicksilver 733 so I am using Mozilla RC2.

Hopefully the development of Chimera continues because its hard to live without anti aliasing text!

I am also trying out the Omniweb betas for their anti aliasing, but so far, I have not been that impressed with the page rendering speed and quality.

20. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

wow im surprised we havent ahd any iCab users come charging out of the ranks since you left them off the poll.

i use MozillaRC3 (cant wait for June and 1.0), i havent tried the new netscape even though i have heard it is faster than mozilla for some reason, because i need tabs.

i tried to use chimera every now and then, it is leaps and bounds ahead of every single other browser as far as speed goes, but its just not finished.

i could probably get used to omniweb's slowness and improper page rendering, but i need tabs! mozilla has gotten me so hooked, i cant imagine navigating webpages in windows... how 1990s.

ie, i really dont think any intelligient person would use it. its the slowest browser available. it crashes often (ok nt often, but more than any of the others with the exception of chimera). and i have never found a page that ie can render that mozilla cant. i think people who make the claim that they need ie because it can do things the others cant are suffering from the same kind of delusions that make people buy peecees. if you want to turn off your brain and let m$ think for you, then please stop using a mac, we dont need people like you (your money is THAT green).

i think Chimera is where the future of osx internet browsing is. Omniweb was one of the first osx apps, and they have made great leaps in the past 6 months in speed, but i dont think it will be enough once chimera gets up to steam. But Omni could surprise us all, like i said i would probably use it if it had tabs, so its not all bad. it should be an interesting face off when these two browsers go to war. apple has already picked a favorite, so maybe we can predict the outcome...

21. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

o and then there is iCab. it has really good scroll speed... anything else good? come on! where are the iCab zealots?

22. SilvorX thread starter macrumors 68000

SilvorX

i'm suprised that lots of you chose IE lol, but then again, its heck alot stabler (and better rendering) than netscape 4

23. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

Right now, I'm using OmniWeb. I switched to it mainly because I didn't like IE, and OmniWeb has the best Aqua UI of all web browsers (my opinion). Now, though with Netscape 7, I'm thinking of switching to that. It's really fast and snappy with the rendering of pages. The only thing I don't like about Netscape is the UI. It's just not Aqua, and its UI is a bit sluggish...

24. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

g4 scott since you are enjoying netscape i woudl suggest downloading mozilla (www.mozilla.org) and then downloading a aqua theme (it looks better AND speeds it up). lemme go find some links...

pinstripe (update coming soon to make it work with 1.0RC3)
    http://www.kmgerich.com/pinstripe/pinstripe.html

chimera skin (and others)
    http://140.107.24.64/mozilla/
    with installer
    http://140.107.24.64/mozilla/navzilla/

hope that helps a bit. let me know what you think. :)

[EDIT: i just tested out the chimera skin again, looks like it needs an update for RC3 as well, still works but the tabs dont display the page title and you need to close them using the command-w instead of the x button, but hopefully these will be updated soon. RC3 did come out recently, and made lots of changes)

25. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Alright lemon.... you asked for it.

I have tried mozilla (poc) as well as some of the other alternates, and they dodn't render pages properly (actually barely rendered a few sites) which I do NOT accept. Netscape AND ie BOTH rendered the pages correctly, so don't tell me it's the site's fault (I don't buy that at all).

I have had ie crash a hell of a lot LESS often then any of the alternate browsers (I can't remember the last time ie did crash on me). Mozilla crashed big time in the first night I tried it (and it was the latest version available at that time). As for the rest of them, they don't render the pages even close to the way I like them, nor as well as either ie or netscape.

Before you go off on a rant, I don't use netscape either at the moment, EXCEPT for my online banking. Even there, I am starting to transition to ie, since they are finally getting their security in order.

There was a point, a few years back, where I would not even touch ie with a 100' pole and would ONLY use Netscape. Those days are long gone since m$ got ie together for the Mac.

You really should stop telling people to go out and use the alternative browsers just because you like them. There is a reason they are called ALTERNATE browsers... if you WANT to use them, then go ahead. But don't try and convince me that they are any better then either ie or what Netscape has to offer.

As some of you know, I am rather picky about my hardware (main reason I buy Mac systems) and I am just as picky with software. If it doesn't perform to my standards, I dump it and get something that does. You might remember the times I sent my rev. a TiBook to Apple for repairs, and it had to go in a total of three times before it was fixed to my standards. Where others might have accepted it after the first or second time, I didn't. Recently, I contacted IBM because the 60GB TravelStar drive that I picked up a few months ago was making more noise then I thought it should. The drive will be winging it's way to IBM early next week (haven't had the time to get to a shipping place yet). I will be getting a replacement within a few weeks (direct from IBM) and hope that it is less noisy (when it should be silent, or damned close to it). At that point, I will decide if it goes inside the rev. c TiBook or gets put into an external firewire enclosure and used that way.