Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kkamann

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011
Apple says iOS 10 will be available for iPhone 5, but does anyone know what features will be unavailable for the 5? Obviously, anything related to TouchID and Apple Pay won't make it since the 5 doesn't have fingerprint scanner. Since Night Shift in iOS 9.3 wasn't made available to the iPhone 5, I am wary about getting my hopes up for many of the iOS 10 new features.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
My guess is that the new photo library scanning features might be limited to devices with 64-bit processors, as that seems to be a fairly process-intensive endeavour.

You should get the new iMessage features.

Reactions: PowerBook-G5

chances14

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2013
rich notifications not working for anyone else using iphone 5? on the messages app for example I still only see the plain view that we are use to seeing in previous ios versions

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
From what it looks like, anything that doesn't require newer hardware (like Touch ID, or a 64-bit processor) should be there. The BIGGEST (in my opinion) highlights, which are: Messages, Siri, Maps, Notifications, and the Keyboard, are all there.

chances14

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2013
From what it looks like, anything that doesn't require newer hardware (like Touch ID, or a 64-bit processor) should be there. The BIGGEST (in my opinion) highlights, which are: Messages, Siri, Maps, Notifications, and the Keyboard, are all there.
well supposedly beta 2 was suppose to give non 3d touch devices rich notifications. So either apple lied or it's a bug specific with the iphone 5

Last edited:

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
well supposedly beta 2 was suppose to give non touch id devices rich notifications. So either apple lied or it's a bug specific with the iphone 5

But they are there. Rich notifications don't even have anything to do with Touch ID.

ThunderMasterMind

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2016
well supposedly beta 2 was suppose to give non touch id devices rich notifications. So either apple lied or it's a bug specific with the iphone 5
Beta 2 did give non-3D touch devices rich notifications, but most people apparently don't know how to use them.

chances14

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2013
But they are there. Rich notifications don't even have anything to do with Touch ID.
i meant 3d touch devices. that was a typo

Beta 2 did give non-3D touch devices rich notifications, but most people apparently don't know how to use them.

I was under the assumption that sliding down on the notification for messages for example would show me the conversation thread without going into the actual app

Instead when i swipe down on the messages notification, I get the same view that we've had in previous ios versions

IMG_0043.PNG

If i'm doing something wrong, please let me know

ThunderMasterMind

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2016
i meant 3d touch devices. that was a typo

I was under the assumption that sliding down on the notification for messages for example would show me the conversation thread without going into the actual app

Instead when i swipe down on the messages notification, I get the same view that we've had in previous ios versions

View attachment 639332

If i'm doing something wrong, please let me know
I don't know, I don't have a non-3D touch device that can run 10 to see if it works.

It might only work on the iPhone 6 and SE.

chances14

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2013
I don't know, I don't have a non-3D touch device that can run 10 to see if it works.

It might only work on the iPhone 6 and SE.
Lol. So you were bad mouthing people about not knowing how to use rich notifications when you yourself don't even know if they work on these devices. Nice

ThunderMasterMind

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2016
Lol. So you were bad mouthing people about not knowing how to use rich notifications when you yourself don't even know if they work on these devices. Nice
Well I thought it was obvious speaking that it works normally, sliding down on it and it opens the rich notification, but if it doesn't work, then I'll take that back. I thought it worked the same way it does on my phone. I have 3D Touch, but never use it for notifications. On the lockscreen, you should be able to slide to the left and tap reply, then rich notification pops up.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.