Which iOS does latest ATV ship with?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by dacapo, Dec 21, 2010.

1. macrumors 6502

Jan 25, 2010
    I'm finally catching on that jailbreaking the ATV2 and adding Plex might be a winner. But before I buy the ATV2, I guess I'd better make sure that it's iOS 4.1 or earlier?

What iOS version are the latest ATVs shipping with?
  2. macrumors newbie

Nov 11, 2010
    stripped down version of mac os x... i did a little more research online and found the exact version to be 10.4.7
  3. thread starter macrumors 6502

Jan 25, 2010

I think you're talking about the original ATV?
    I'm talking about the new ATV2. (The small black box.)
    These ship with iOS, not OSX.
  4. macrumors newbie

Jun 16, 2010
    I purchased mine a couple of weeks ago and it came with 4.0. When I tried to jailbreak I found out that apple stopped signing the SHSH for that version so I had no luck with the jailbreak. The iPhone dev team has said that a jailbreak for 4.2.1 will be out within the week so we can jailbreak after that.
  5. thread starter macrumors 6502

Jan 25, 2010

This being Christmas week, I was just thinking of pulling the trigger. But without that jailbreak, I really don't have much of a reason to get the ATV. :D
  6. macrumors 6502a

Oct 23, 2007
    the current appletv software version is v4.1.1 and this is based on iOS 4.2.1.
  7. macrumors member

Nov 29, 2007
    He is asking what is installed on the in-store units, not the current version.

Probably a mixed bag- but I would imagine most still have 4.0 on them, although as others have pointed out, doesn't matter anymore as no versions are JBreakable, un-teathered anyhow.

Hope you are correct about a new JB this week!
  8. macrumors 6502a

Mar 3, 2004
    Canada's South Coast
    I ordered mine direct from Apple a week ago, it shipped from China the next day and arrived a couple of days later. It shipped with 4.1.0 installed; the 4.1.1 upgrade was posted while it was in transit. :apple:
  9. macrumors member

Dec 30, 2009
    Apparently christmas eve
  10. macrumors 68020

Jun 2, 2010
    You don't need SHSH to jailbreak the ATV if it came with 4 you can jailbreak it. You need SHSH to restore to Firmware 4 from a newer firmware version.
  11. macrumors member

Nov 29, 2007
    Nope, apple stopped signing 4.0 (ios 4.1) so you cant do custom restore

Currently no public way to do untethered JB on any version of aTV2, and I would be extremely happy to be proven wrong
  12. thread starter macrumors 6502

Jan 25, 2010
    Does it have to be untethered?