Which iOS does latest ATV ship with?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by dacapo, Dec 21, 2010.

1. macrumors 6502

I'm finally catching on that jailbreaking the ATV2 and adding Plex might be a winner. But before I buy the ATV2, I guess I'd better make sure that it's iOS 4.1 or earlier?

What iOS version are the latest ATVs shipping with?

2. macrumors newbie

stripped down version of mac os x... i did a little more research online and found the exact version to be 10.4.7

3. thread starter macrumors 6502

:confused::confused:

I think you're talking about the original ATV?
    I'm talking about the new ATV2. (The small black box.)
    These ship with iOS, not OSX.

4. macrumors newbie

I purchased mine a couple of weeks ago and it came with 4.0. When I tried to jailbreak I found out that apple stopped signing the SHSH for that version so I had no luck with the jailbreak. The iPhone dev team has said that a jailbreak for 4.2.1 will be out within the week so we can jailbreak after that.

5. thread starter macrumors 6502

Cool!

This being Christmas week, I was just thinking of pulling the trigger. But without that jailbreak, I really don't have much of a reason to get the ATV. :D

6. macrumors 6502a

chenks

the current appletv software version is v4.1.1 and this is based on iOS 4.2.1.

7. macrumors member

He is asking what is installed on the in-store units, not the current version.

Probably a mixed bag- but I would imagine most still have 4.0 on them, although as others have pointed out, doesn't matter anymore as no versions are JBreakable, un-teathered anyhow.

Hope you are correct about a new JB this week!

8. macrumors 6502a

eRondeau

I ordered mine direct from Apple a week ago, it shipped from China the next day and arrived a couple of days later. It shipped with 4.1.0 installed; the 4.1.1 upgrade was posted while it was in transit. :apple:

9. macrumors member

Apparently christmas eve

10. macrumors 68000

You don't need SHSH to jailbreak the ATV if it came with 4 you can jailbreak it. You need SHSH to restore to Firmware 4 from a newer firmware version.

11. macrumors member

Nope, apple stopped signing 4.0 (ios 4.1) so you cant do custom restore

Currently no public way to do untethered JB on any version of aTV2, and I would be extremely happy to be proven wrong

12. thread starter macrumors 6502

Does it have to be untethered?