Which iPad cable can I use too stream audio to my car via 30 pin connector

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Mamba4590, May 25, 2012.

1. macrumors newbie

Hey guys, I bought a apple component av cable from amazon and it works well so I can stream pandora and other type of audio to my car.. The issue is when I try to play a video I can hear sound but since the cable is meant for the tv I get the black screen that says its playing on tv.. Is there any way around this? Or which other cable can I buy that can charge my iPad and play audio through the 30 pin connector..

I know some of you will say why don't I use a the audio through the 3.55 mm jack and charge it with a regular iPad charger but I don't want too many cable around in the car.. Thanks

2. macrumors member

What type of headunit / monitor system are you using in your car? In my car, for example, my headunit had a system setup whereby video would only play if the car was in park. I was able to bypass this, however, without that bypass - I would get the same thing (audio but no video).

Perhaps your headunit has some sort of safety feature?

3. thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't think it has a safty feature because it's just connected to a auxilary port.. I just used an adapter to connect the apple av cable to it.l

4. macrumors 6502

5. macrumors 603

rgarjr

6. macrumors member

Have you tried playing a video with the car in park?

Even if it's an AUX input - chances are, the video will be blocked unless the car is in Park (unless you've bypassed that feature)...

7. macrumors 68030

CrAkD

guys this has nothing to do with the car being in park. its an ipad connected to the old video cable which means the ipad is trying to send the video signal to the video outputs which he doesnt have connected. I believe the dock outputs audio digitally so you will need a converter to get sound out of the dock connector. best way to do it is like you said and use 2 cables.

----------

check this out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mhj8S7bhquk

8. macrumors demi-god

Gav2k

You need either one of these (eBay)

400279248470 (non powered)

260741328797 (powered)

9. macrumors 68030

CrAkD

why do they make the actual dock connecter so huge on these? Dont they realize most people want to mount (atleast ipads) flush. they all should come with apple sized dock connecters with the cable coming out of the side.

10. macrumors demi-god

Gav2k

There is nothing to stop you making your own. The pin outs are readily avalible online.

11. macrumors 68030

CrAkD

yeah I know. Im pretty good with most technical stuff. (building computers, installing car stereos etc.) but my soldering skills are suspect dont really want to chance frying a new iphone or ipad.

12. macrumors demi-god

Gav2k

http://store.soundmancaraudio.com/ipad-parts/90-degree-passthrough/

Allows for flush mounting ;)